New Neons :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
siva said:
You could do 6 panda cories. I think your substrate might be a little rough for kuhlis, since they like to burrow, but otherwise they work in a tank that size as well.

Hmmm well that's a bummer about the kuhlis but I do like my gravel lol.

Is that 6 pandas and 8 neons or the 4 I have plus the pandas? :)

You guys are a great help btw!

I likw the idea... But cories arent too hardy in my opinion :/ theu need to be in schools of at least 6 an then 8-9 neons would be great

It's not unusual for people to keep them with that regular gravel, but it's just not something I can recommend.

You could definitely have 6 pandas, 8 neons, and something that schools higher up too. :)

I likw the idea... But cories arent too hardy in my opinion :/ theu need to be in schools of at least 6 an then 8-9 neons would be great
Ah, maybe you've just had a bad experience with them. I think they are hardier than neons, for the most part. I keep a few types of cories and they've done well for me.

I'm not sure if this tank is cycled?

siva said:
It's not unusual for people to keep them with that regular gravel, but it's just not something I can recommend.

You could definitely have 6 pandas, 8 neons, and something that schools higher up too. :)

Well if one person who has gave me so much info wouldn't recommend it then I wouldn't risk it :)

No point in potentially harming a fish for no real reason eh? :)

What would you say for the higher school?

I can't wait to stock this tank now!!!

siva said:
Ah, maybe you've just had a bad experience with them. I think they are hardier than neons, for the most part. I keep a few types of cories and they've done well for me.

I'm not sure if this tank is cycled?

It's not fully cycled as of yet but I'm taking it really slow and getting a lot of seed material :)

But all this will e saved for me to view later sooo :)

Haha well when i had cories i wasent the best fish keeper, and i only had 2 :/ so both of these must have contributed to their death :/ so i wouldnt cout them out yet! Haha and great! Must people shove 20 fish in a tank in a day and are like " why did they all die :(??" haha your bejng smart by going slow :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha well when i had cories i wasent the best fish keeper, and i only had 2 :/ so both of these must have contributed to their death :/ so i wouldnt cout them out yet! Haha and great! Must people shove 20 fish in a tank in a day and are like " why did they all die :(??" haha your bejng smart by going slow :)

Yea my local pets at home won't sell people more that a starter school (2-4) of small fish to limit needless deaths.

Seems I don't have the horror stories that most people do with LFS lol.

Aw, you're very sweet. ;)

Marble hatchets might be nice for the top schoolers. That's assuming this tank has a lid since they can really jump!

Yea my local pets at home won't sell people more that a starter school (2-4) of small fish to limit needless deaths.

Seems I don't have the horror stories that most people do with LFS lol.
WOW that's impressive!

siva said:
Aw, you're very sweet. ;)

Marble hatchets might be nice for the top schoolers. That's assuming this tank has a lid since they can really jump!

Haha yea the Gf says I'm sweet too lol :)

And yea it's got a lid, need to block a small gap at the back (for wires to pass through)

So I'm think the final stock (a long way away but still!)

8 neons
6 pandas
And how many hatchets? (need to do a stack of research on these)

I own silver hatchets!!! And wow ur lfs is smart. Ok back to the hatchets... They are kinda difficult.. I bought 7 and lost 2 within a week :/ they do stay at the top, but quite hard to feed, they are shy. For mine to eat the food has to be RIGHT THERE haha and they are kinda difficult to to take care of and expensive! :/ haha but very cool fish... I love mine tho :)

I'd say 6 or so. You might be able to get away with more. I also love dadios/orange hatchetfish but they are much harder to find. Are you going to do a CP fish?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I own silver hatchets!!! And wow ur lfs is smart. Ok back to the hatchets... They are kinda difficult.. I bought 7 and lost 2 within a week :/ they do stay at the top, but quite hard to feed, they are shy. For mine to eat the food has to be RIGHT THERE haha and they are kinda difficult to to take care of and expensive! :/ haha but very cool fish... I love mine tho :)

Well I imagine my stock will be the cheaper ones first (both to train myself a bit and to stock the bio filter a bit(not intending to lose fish but the cheaper ones are "easier" to replace))

Hopefully by the time Christmas comes I'll be confident enough to keep less hardy fish.

My LFS warned me they could be sensitive when I bought my marbles, but I've had them a while and they are doing fantastic. They haven't been difficult to feed for me either. This may be a difference between the silvers and the marbles. My marbles race over and try to snatch the betta pellets away when I feed the betta first lol. They are a bit expensive. My LFS sells them for $4.99 (but I must add they sold them to me for $2.99..shhh..don't tell anyone). :D

Back
Top Bottom