New plant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodeo one

Aquarium Advice Addict
For me, anyways. For all I know, they re common as flies....
African Water FernImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398222186.976656.jpg

The loaches knocked it off of the DW, they re busy little guys! Has a few new fronds on it tho.

One of my absolute favorite plants. Was unable to find it locally until last year in my neck of Texas.

With how lush and vibrant green it can get, you'd think it would have higher requirements. I've only grown it under low/very low light and had great results.

I just got one of these too, and so far its doing pretty good. I also find the two ottos in the lower left amusing, just looking in :)

Travis at the Wet Spot called it a
'collectors plant'. Guess I ve been bumped up from 'newbie' to a collector!

Hey Rodeo,
I liked your fern so well I ordered some for my 16g tank. I found some on the planted aquarium central's site. Thanks for the enlightenment! OS.

That s great! Glad I can be a good influence on you :). Send pics once it s in your tank, ok?
I have to reattach mine today & try to make it Loach proof, the little scamps.

That plant is actually Bolbitus Heudelotii. They prefer softer water with a lower kh and gh. If you find that leaves begin to turn black after some time has pasted or new leaves come in nice and green but then turn black later on the plant is reacting to the kh and gh of the water being too high. They are slow to establish but once they do and especially if in a tank with pressurized CO2 they can grow very quickly and quite huge. The literally 1" tall, 2 leaf plant I started out with grew to a size that it covered over 1/4 of my 220g tank. I have split that monster up so many times and have a hard time keeping it down to about 18" wide and 15" tall. You also have to watch keeping them in too much light too many hours as they are prone to BBA. Also to keep it in place and allow it to anchor to the DW you need to use fishing line or black 100% cotton thread to tie it on.

Back
Top Bottom