New planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
So we are in the process of switching over to a planted tank. Planning low tech with plans of a light upgrade. We have a pretty decent light (for a regular t8). Right now we are sticking to swords, Val's, and an anubias nana.

Next week I am helping a friend with an overgrown tank so I will be getting a bunch of plants from here. Mostly swords.

The nana is near to the filter since it is a sturdier plant. We added the flourish tabs according to spacing suggested on the package.

Any ideas/placement ideas are definitely welcome. The middle looks so short compared to some of the plastic ones we took out lol ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405038469.378777.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405038480.758448.jpg

The middle of the tank are all the new ones so far. (The ones from a friend should be taller so they'll go on the "tall side" once we get them here)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So we are in the process of switching over to a planted tank. Planning low tech with plans of a light upgrade. We have a pretty decent light (for a regular t8). Right now we are sticking to swords, Val's, and an anubias nana.

Next week I am helping a friend with an overgrown tank so I will be getting a bunch of plants from here. Mostly swords.

The nana is near to the filter since it is a sturdier plant. We added the flourish tabs according to spacing suggested on the package.

Any ideas/placement ideas are definitely welcome. The middle looks so short compared to some of the plastic ones we took out lol View attachment 242776View attachment 242777

The middle of the tank are all the new ones so far. (The ones from a friend should be taller so they'll go on the "tall side" once we get them here)

The key to a good looking aquascape is to have a good variety of plants that contrast each other in shape and color. If I was you, I'd take out the fake decorations, and add lava rock/driftwood. This will make your tank look more natural. Depending on what lighting you'll upgrade to, that will determine what plants you can get later. Also, it'd be a good idea to start dosing liquid or dry ferts and liquid carbon or CO2 injection if you want your plants to take off. There are many "plant brains" on this forum, so maybe they'll chime in and give you further direction.

You need to add more plants to fill they tank out. For a low light tank I would add java fern and miss to the mix. I would also suggest some driftwood and/or lava rock for the hard scape of the tank
~Zac

We did add some dry ferts :)

We are definitely going to add more live and take out the plastic/fake ones. And definitely planning on a lot of different types.

We did add some dry ferts :)

We are definitely going to add more live and take out the plastic/fake ones. And definitely planning on a lot of different types.

That's good to hear. I hope you enjoy your planted tank! Here is a good website for inspiration and information: http://tropica.com/en

We had been reading how if you tie/glue the java moss to even plastic decorations it should eventually grow into it. The big decoration has a lot of texture. We are planning on drilling some extra holes too. The clown loaches LOVE that thing so I don't have it in my heart to take it away from them

Back
Top Bottom