New Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I got some new plants yesterday and would like all the extra info on them that I can get. I got some red ludwigia, I believe jungle vals, and a red crypt wendtii. What are some basic needs for them? With the crypt I got it planted and it had the mushy type of stuff keeping all the roots and stuff in the pot (I cant for the life of me think what that stuff is called lol) but I tried as best I could to get all of it off the roots without hurting them but I couldnt get all of it off. Will that be okay? Also how do I plant the crypt...does it have a rhizome that I need to watch for when planting? Also is there anything I can do to try and prevent melting? Ok now the Vals. They were very tall already when I got them. Can you just trim them down like cutting grass or is that bad for them? One of the vals have these two long root looking things that go to the surface of the water and they have these weird looking things at the tips. Does anyone know what they are? Now for the ludwigia. The last time I tried growing ludwigia it kept rotting on the bottoms and eventually all died off on me. I LOVE the new red ludwigia that I got so I definitely want to keep it alive so is there anything I can do for it so it wont rot or die. Well I think thats all. But if anyone could help me with the needs of the 3 different plants like what they need as far as ferts or if they need root tabs that would be great!! Thank you again!!

Let start by first asking what type of lighting and bulbs do you have as that is a major component of growing red plants. Also what type of ferts do you use and how often? Lastly do you use CO2 or use liquid carbon?

Crypts don't have a rhizome and just plant the roots being sure the crown of the plant isn't buried in the substrate. And there is nothing you can do about crypt melt. If it happens just leave the plant alone and once it acclimates it will begin to grow new leaves. This can take time so be patient. Crypts are a low light tolerant plant. Crypts need root tabs as they absorb most of their nutrients through their roots.

For Jungle vals be sure to plant each blade/stem individually but fairly close to each other so you have a patch. They can be trimmed but I personally don't like how it looks. As for the long things are you talking about runners that grow out and start to grow baby vals on them? A picture would help alot. Also Vals absorb most nutrients from the water.

The red ludwigia is really more of a med-high to high light plant IMO. You have to plant each stem individually with leaves almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around it. This allows for light and water circulation to reach bottom leaves and stems. This plant takes most of its nutrients from the water but also needs higher light, good ferts (such as dry ferts dosed PPS-Pro), and CO2 or liquid carbon like Flourish Excel.

Thank you so much for all the info! I have a t5 high output light with 2 bulbs one is for plants and the other is called super day light or something. I cant remember off the top of my head. Its also a 40 gallon breeder tank if that helps with anything. I usually use flourish comprehensive but I ran out and havent gotten any for a while. And I do not have any source of co2 in the tank. I might try and get some excel when I get some more flourish. I read about excel melting some plants. Will that kill the plants off or will they get used to it and grow back? Thank you again for all the help!! I have a decent bit of plants already in the tank but I feel like they are all going downhill and not growing very well.

Also my rotala indica is getting really thin and the leaves are growing really small now for some reason. Another issue is all of my frogbit is dying off. I used to have to get rid of so much at least once a week because there was so much now its almost all gone and all of their roots are completely gone. They used to be so long and pretty. Do you have any ideas? :/ Oh and I just was looking at your 220 gallon tank and wow...just wow!! If my tank looked half as good as that I would be amazed! lol

With those lights and liquid carbon I would suggest using these dry ferts... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums.

I also suggest getting 3 of these dosing bottles... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums. One bottle for nitrates, one for potassium and phosphates, and one for micro's.

Lastly here is a thread to read about dosing PPS-Pro. Only read the openning post... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central. For red plants you would be best to keep your nitrates low at 10ppm and phosphates at .5-1.0ppm which you can do dosing PPS-Pro.

Problems with your rotala could be due to lack of nutrients. Be sure your rotala is also planted correctly.

Thank you again! You were a great help! Also what do you mean by making sure my rotala is planted correctly? Is there a certain way they need to be planted?

It should be planted the same way as the ludwigia. Plant each stem individually with leaves almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around it. If stems aren't planted this way they they can often lose lower leaves or get stem rot.

Thats how they have been planted. I think its just because I havent been using any ferts here lately. They were doing well but I think since I stopped using any flourish they have been going downhill. I dont know why my frogbit has almost all disappeared...it grew like CRAZY even when I wasnt using any ferts and now its almost all completely gone and all of their roots are gone too. Any ideas on the frogbit? Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate all of the help you have given me!! Thank you so much!

Not sure about the frogbit, they like nutrients and I haven't kept them for years so not too sure what up with them.

Thats how they have been planted. I think its just because I havent been using any ferts here lately. They were doing well but I think since I stopped using any flourish they have been going downhill. I dont know why my frogbit has almost all disappeared...it grew like CRAZY even when I wasnt using any ferts and now its almost all completely gone and all of their roots are gone too. Any ideas on the frogbit? Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate all of the help you have given me!! Thank you so much!

They are nutrient sponges, so adding Flourish comprehensive and making sure you do weekly PWCs plus check flow patterns, they don't like too much water movement. Do you have any fish that might be eating the roots ? My RCS love hanging from the roots.

Thank you! I am going to get some more ferts asap and hopefully my plants start looking better! And I dont think any of the fish eat the roots. They pick at them here and there looking around for food but I never really see them bother them too much.

If they are flowering you should take a picture and post it. That dosen't happen often with jungle val.

Ok I will try and get some pictures! They have put out three all though my fish nibbled a little on them lol...also my red ludwigia has grown a good bit already but the new growth is very green and not red at all compared to the bottom of the plant where it is super red...what is it missing?

Most red plants need med-high to high light, higher phosphates and iron, and CO2 or liquid carbon to have the best color.

Last question...when do crypts usually melt after being put into a new tank? They started to melt in one of my lower light tanks but in my other one they are doing okay and no melting at all

brunettebaby4571 said:
Last question...when do crypts usually melt after being put into a new tank? They started to melt in one of my lower light tanks but in my other one they are doing okay and no melting at all

I think if you avoid planting the crown too deep, you could avoid the melt. The crown should be slightly above the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom