New Quarantine Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in process of setting up a QT for a couple of tangs with ich.

Its about 70 litres and i am about to install an Interpet PF2 filter.

My LFS sold me some Marine Safestart and told me i should be able to put the fish in there today. Anyone used this before as i am a little aprehensive.

As far as the treatment goes i am going to use 'Cuprazin' which is copper based. I've heard copper is the best for ich?

I have also read that i should treat ALL fish for the disease which i do not find possible as the tank is too small and the filter wouldn't handle that amount of fish to start with.

Any thoughts and advice would be very apreciated.

Just to add this QT will be used soley as a QT gonig forward. It will be packed away when not in use and the filter will be place in my sump.

Attachments

• IMG_0524[1].jpg
    IMG_0524[1].jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 106
Also i added water from my DT. Will I still need to acclimate the fish?

I plan on doing a freshwater dip for 10 minutes before putting him into the QT. I am paying extra attention to salinity, temp, oxygen.

I set up a QT from scratch and killed a gramma and firefish because tank cycled. Will you be using floss or any filter elements from DT? I would recommend that. I am new to hobby and was very sad to lose those guys, but to clear up ich you need to pull all fish out of tank and treat them all. I went with hypo but make sure your fishies can handle it.

I think the QT i have will be way too small to house all my fish.

I have a bottle of 'Tetra SafeStart' which claims to make new aquariums safe for fish. On the bottle it says you can add fish straight away but a moderate amount only. So if i chuck all my fish in there il probably have an awful cycle.

begginersluck said:
I think the QT i have will be way too small to house all my fish.

I have a bottle of 'Tetra SafeStart' which claims to make new aquariums safe for fish. On the bottle it says you can add fish straight away but a moderate amount only. So if i chuck all my fish in there il probably have an awful cycle.

I've used the FW safestart and it worked for me. You will have to watch your levels like a hawk and do PWC's once if not twice a day, especially if your tank is going to be densely stocked but it should make your tank cycle MUCH quicker than if left to its own devices.
Also not sure if the same applies to SW but in FW ich can be treated by cranking up temp and adding salt. I'm treating an outbreak in my tank as we speak, simply by turning temp up to more than 30degC and the outbreak seems to be under control and disappearing after only a few days.

Cheers Dreadz,

I currently only have one fish in there.

My main problem is what to do with the other fish. Should i chuck the mall in and do PWC a couple of times a day or should i wait until its cycled? Even though i used the safestart..... confused!

How many of your fish are currently affected? You could transfer all your stock into QT but you'd have to stay on top of PWC's and keep feeding to bare minimum.
I'm completely unfamiliar with marine systems but could you not just raise your main tank temp to >30degC? The temp will dramatically reduce the disease's lifespan in its free swimming stage which is when it's contagious and it would avoid the need for some serious chemical treatment to which some fish are exceptionally sensitive!

Marine ich is different to freshwater ich however I think they operate similarly.

I might wait until the end of the week to put more fish in the QT that way il know its cycled.

There's a couple more fish in my DT with symptoms.

In order to kill the iCh in the display tank all fish need to be removed for about 6 weeks. Otherwise you will be constantly battling th same problem. Sorry and good luck!

It's not ideal, but if you keep up on the water changes and everything you should be ok. Remember to re dose the copper with every water change to keep the amount of medicine in the water consistent. If you,do a 4 gallon water change dose only for the 4 gallons you replaced. Also, pick up a copper test kit. The API kit should be fine, it's the one we use. Also, pick up a seaweed clip for your tangs just for the QT you don't want any copper in your display tank.

Ok so im gonna put some seaweed in now to feed the powder brown which by the way look so much better since he had the freshwater dip.

I was thinking about adding one fish per day to slowly help the filter cycle instead of chucking them all in at once. I will still be testing every day and doing daily PWC!

Back
Top Bottom