New Red tail catfish not eating! so frustrating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so I bought a 4 inch red tail from the LFS last night so I've had him for about a day. This guy is so stubborn I swear. Hes currently in a 75 gallon grow out tank untill he gets bigger to be put in my pond. I put in sinking carnivore pellets by Hikari and he puts them in his mouth but spits them back out! If I had known these guys were so tricky to feed I wouldnt of bought one. Hes living with a single parrot fish also. Is he not eating becasue he still needs time to settle or what? Please give me some advice. Thank you!

My guess is he's gettin used to his new home them bad boys will eat and eat and eat give him a day or two to come around and you will practically be watchin him grow

My red tail was the same he wouldn't ever eat flakes or pellets. But I would always seen him scavenging through the sand. He grew big and healthy without ever taking prepared food so I think they get what they need just through scavenging the bottoms. Now that he's matured he does take bloodworms, flakes, pellets and bring shrimp.

they are actually not very picky it is just because he is getting used to his tank and new food.

My red tail was the same he wouldn't ever eat flakes or pellets. But I would always seen him scavenging through the sand. He grew big and healthy without ever taking prepared food so I think they get what they need just through scavenging the bottoms. Now that he's matured he does take bloodworms, flakes, pellets and bring shrimp.

You sure yours isn't a red tail shark? Doesn't sound much of a diet for fish that grows to over two feet

Be patient, he will eat when he's ready. My rule is I don't even feed new fish for first 2 days to let them adjust to there new environment, because chances are high that they won't touch the food.

Back
Top Bottom