New refractometer or test kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosesrblu1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Am placing an order at the drs today and was going to order the red sea algae test kit for phosphate and trates ( currently using API). I am also using a hydrometer for,salinity. If I were going to order one item, should it be the refractometer or the new test kit?? I don't have $$ for both and the hubby would go,a bit bananas if I ordered both. I can be the other in about a month. Also, have the API phosphate test kit on hand as well. I wanted more accurate readings, but for 10.00 more I could get the refractometer. We have 2 sw tanks and a total volume of 300g between them. I'm leaning towards the refractometer, just wanted another opinion.

Thxx!

I have the algae kit and i think you would be happier with the Red Sea Coral Nitrate kit and a Hanna 736 for phosphates . The PO4 kit is still hard to read colors.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Am placing an order at the drs today and was going to order the red sea algae test kit for phosphate and trates ( currently using API). I am also using a hydrometer for,salinity. If I were going to order one item, should it be the refractometer or the new test kit?? I don't have $$ for both and the hubby would go,a bit bananas if I ordered both. I can be the other in about a month. Also, have the API phosphate test kit on hand as well. I wanted more accurate readings, but for 10.00 more I could get the refractometer. We have 2 sw tanks and a total volume of 300g between them. I'm leaning towards the refractometer, just wanted another opinion.

Thxx!

Hey Rosesrblu
I'm new in the saltwater game but you will find a portable Refractometer is far more accurate than a standard hydrometer
I know your not from Australia but they retail here for $49.95 but extremely accurate for measuring salinity just a few drops
Of saltwater on the screen close the clear lid & that's it look in the scope & it will tell you what your salinity is

Regards Graham

image-287796496.jpg

I have the algae kit and i think you would be happier with the Red Sea Coral Nitrate kit and a Hanna 736 for phosphates . The PO4 kit is still hard to read colors.

I couldn't agree more with this.... the nitrate colors are a little easier to distinguish, but the subtle shades of green on the phos test are a pain on the old eyes. As far as the rest of the Red Sea tests (calcium, alk, & mag) in the Reef Pro kit, I couldn't be happier, but the Hanna phos checker is the next thing on my list.
I'd get the refractometer first.... accurate salinity is paramount. As long as you're doing very regular water changes (maybe even an extra or two), you can be pretty confident you're keeping nutrients down as long as you're not over-feeding. Get your nitrate test & Hanna phos checker as soon as you can.

Hi guys,

I never updated the post but I wound up getting the refractometer and the NO/PO test kit along with the calc/alk/mag kit. Very happy with everything and the refractometer is more accurate, but the hubby said the read the same. He has a fowler and I have a reef. I'll stick with mine...

Thanks

I just got the Hanna checker for all the parameters. Love it. Is there a website that has all of the regents for refill? Only seen one or two per website.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Hi guys,

I never updated the post but I wound up getting the refractometer and the NO/PO test kit along with the calc/alk/mag kit. Very happy with everything and the refractometer is more accurate, but the hubby said the read the same. He has a fowler and I have a reef. I'll stick with mine...

Thanks

Where and what refractometer did you get? I might get one soon. My LFS said I can just bring my hydrometer in and they will mark it as a sort of "calibration" and he said that is just as good as a cheap refractometer. The refractometer still seems easier and if it isn't too expensive I may go that rout. How much was yours if you don't mind me asking?

I got the less expensive one from des foster smith. It works well and seems consistent.

Back
Top Bottom