New Salmontail Catfish....Stressed!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmurray17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

Just starting up my new cichlid tank and I have currently 3 Melanochromis Maingano (sp) between 3-5cm and will get a couple more once the LFS restocks.

I just bought a Salmontail catfish and even though he has only been in the tank an hour he is pacing near the heater and filters and now flat and still on the substrate. I understand he is probably stressed but just putting it out there if anyone knows whether they are highly sensitive to anything impaticular?

Tank is 4ft tall, nitrate at 0 Ammonia at 0 temp at 23 Celsius.

I am also aware he will be a very big fish and my first choice was to get 3 pictus cats but the LFS only had this little guy left and they have a huge display tank which houses a 2.5ft Salmontail catfish and are happy to trade him in once he has grown to big for my home aquarium.

Thank you to everyone in advance.

Thanks Greta!

I've been watching him and he's moving about a lot more and occasionally lies in the substrate and camouflages himself. He very well could be sulking as there is only one of him and he seems to like following my smallest Melanochromis around.

I think I am just being over panicky as I lost my whole tank to a nasty algae explosion/contamination a few months back and only just starting up again :'(

Thanks again for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom