new saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isiah1820

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would a 20g be big enough to start a salt water tank can any one help looking to switch from fresh to salt

Yes 20 gallons would work. You have to vigorously clean it though so you don't have any decaying material left.

Just take the fish out you have and plastic things plants ect clean them clean the side buy a hydrometer pour sand in and wait for a good cycle like 30 days

No. Don't do that. Cycles don't happen with just sand. You need to add an ammonia source and you need more places for the bacteria to colonize ie live rock.

So I can use everything I had in the fresh like heater and filter also I have a 50/50 blue light would that be good enough for coral

Need all the help I can get also how many fish am I looking at with a 20g

With a basic saltwater setup like this your looking at 2 maybe 3 small fish and the lighting won't support corals which if you do wanna get into keeping a reef you'll need better filtration better flow and better lighting which will equate to a much larger setup cost. Are there any fish that you are set on? Liveaquaria.com is a great site to browse through fish and offers good advice on them.

Yea like your basic saltwater aquarium fish like clowns and other colorful fish and inverts. Also def looking to have corals

Wen u say larger setup do u mean bigger tank all together because I seen the nano reef tanks and they seem much smaller than mine.

Set up cost. The lights can and will a lot of the times break the bank. I would get LEDs like a radion or a dimmable taotronic led fixture. Or AI SOL.

And I should be able to find these lights to fit my tank right

Open up a thread in hardware and equipment which will probably get you the exact light you'll need ;)

Sorry for all the questions but what other equip. I would need besides light, filter, heater

You'll also need salt, hydrometer or Refractometer, base rock and/or live rock, substrate of some sort (sand, crushed coral or you could go bare bottom), a liquid master test kit, and powerhead will get you started cycling, which will take about a month or so. During that time you could research what fish you want to put in there.

Beengirl said:
You'll also need salt, hydrometer or Refractometer, base rock and/or live rock, substrate of some sort (sand, crushed coral or you could go bare bottom), a liquid master test kit, and powerhead will get you started cycling, which will take about a month or so. During that time you could research what fish you want to put in there.

Ok I got everything but what is a hydrometer lol and I was thinking red hawkfish and clown fish

Also filter is ok to use the one I already have witch was for fresh water

A hydrometer measures the saltness in the water should be around 1.025

Back
Top Bottom