New Setup; Stocking and Cycle Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizzyBeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

My history with fish tanks:
I've helped to maintain a home fish tank for several years now (with my family); and I like to believe I know a bit about keeping fish. We currently have a large common pleco (he's about 2ft long now) in a large tank by himself. He is quite the character and has outlived all his former tank-mates (some angels, a small red fish w/ a spot [possibly a sepae tetra], and some neon/cardinal tetras).

New Tank Setup:
I have recently decided to start a new tank of my own. I have a few questions as for the start-up of my new tank. I've done quite a bit of research now and think I know what I want out of my own tank.

I'm going to setup a peaceful (ie no fin-nippers) freshwater 29g hexagon tank. I already have the tank. It sprung a leak before (it's an old tank) and I have bought aquarium silicone. I plan to strip all the old seams off and use silicone to reseal all the seams. I plan to use fake plants. I also plan to buy a python (or similar) vacuum device, and an API master test kit. Any advice on doing the new silicone seams would be appreciated.

Questions:
I've read about cycling a new tank. I plan to use fish food to get things moving for a fishless cycle. My question is, would it be a good idea to use some of the gravel or filter from the established pleco tank to 'seed' the new tank w/ bacteria (we've noticed small worms in his tank)?

I also have some questions about stocking my new tank (once it's cycled). I would like to add these fish:
6 zebra danios
6 von rio/flame tetras
2-3 cories (peppered)

Are these numbers appropriate for a 29g tank? I also know that I cannot add all of these guys at once; so which ones should I add, in what numbers, and at what intervals?

Also, I figure feeding these guys with some flake food and sinking pellets or wafers will be adequate, but other advice would be appreciated.

Any other feedback and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! I found this video helpful when resealing my tank, hope it helps!

The video helps. I've never done anything like this before (resealing a tank), and now I think I know what I'm in for. ;)

Just an update for anyone reading my thread:

I've decided to use ammonia to cycle my tank once I've gotten it resealed. I plan to add fish food occasionally (translate: maybe once a week) to replenish nutrients in the water to prevent the cycle from stalling.

So new questions:

I'd still like feedback on my above stocking plan. How many peppered cories could I keep? (I know they like groups). Also, I like the panda cories, how may of them could I keep?

And my current question is, I bought some ammonia from an Ace hardware store but I'm not sure it's what I need to use while I cycle my tank. It says it's 10% ammonium hydroxide. It doesn't foam or turn colors if shaken. It also says it's phosphate free and 'janitorial strength.' Is this what I need, or should I take it back and get something different?

Just an update for anyone reading my thread:

I've decided to use ammonia to cycle my tank once I've gotten it resealed. I plan to add fish food occasionally (translate: maybe once a week) to replenish nutrients in the water to prevent the cycle from stalling.

So new questions:

I'd still like feedback on my above stocking plan. How many peppered cories could I keep? (I know they like groups). Also, I like the panda cories, how may of them could I keep?

And my current question is, I bought some ammonia from an Ace hardware store but I'm not sure it's what I need to use while I cycle my tank. It says it's 10% ammonium hydroxide. It doesn't foam or turn colors if shaken. It also says it's phosphate free and 'janitorial strength.' Is this what I need, or should I take it back and get something different?

Yes that's the correct ammonia! :) It's the brand most of us use on here, I've used it too.

Your stock sounds great. You could up the numbers to 8 each of the Danio and Tetra and you could do 6 Pandas (I have them, they are fun and cute little fish). You have room for a centerpiece fish as well, maybe a Dwarf Gourami? Others might have more suggestions.

For feeding, fish like variety. Flakes are fine; New Life SPectrum or Hiakari pellets for community fish are good too. I use the NLS/Hikari as a staple and once per week I'll give them some flakes and a frozen treat (bloodworms, shrimp, daphnia, etc); go for frozen over freeze-dried if you can, the freeze-dried can cause bloating issues but you can soak it first in some tank water it might be ok. Only give the frozen/freeze-dried as a treat once every week or two, they have high protein content that can cause issues. The Corys would appreciate shrimp pellest or an algae wafer at night 2-3 times per week after the lights go out (I alternate between shrimp pellets and algae wafers to give them variety). Once per week I give my fish a thawed, deshelled frozen pea to help aid digestion and fight constipation and the next day I fast them.

Keep us posted on your cycle. :)

Updates:

I've just about scrapped all the silicone out of the old hex tank. Lots of seams=lots of work...

I'll probably be sealing tomorrow if I can clean it up enough. Then it'll have to cure for a week (for maximum strength). Here's hoping the seams will hold.

On stocking:

As for a center piece fish, a dwarf gourami looks cool. So does a honey gourami. I've looked into both a bit now. Anyone prefer one over the other?

Any other thoughts on my stocking plan, or about a center piece fish? (Keeping in mind I don't want anything all that aggresive.) Also are there any thoughts on sterbai vs peppered vs panda cories? (I'm leaning towards panda cories.)

Back
Top Bottom