New setup - wood and substrate interaction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

example

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone.

I'm freshly registered and I was looking for a quick advice on a matter regarding the aquarium that I am setting up.

I just got my hardscape in the aquarium this last weekend and I will get my plants tomorrow. I just noticed this kind of mold in the wood that is in contact with the substrate.

HVsqBGq

0NAEYss

Do you suggest I give the wood a boil? It was supposed to be ready to go in the tank. Should I try to remove the substrate that came in contact with it? :(

Thanks in advance and I will get a picture of the setup later when I get the chance.

Edit: I can't seem to post a picture hosted on a site.

Last edited:
Do you have any fish/ shrimp or snails in the tank? Most critters will eat that film that grows on driftwood so likely the problem will vanish as soon as you have inhabitants in there.

Hi all!

Thank you for the replies. I'm more relieved now.

No fish or anything yet just the hardscape and will be receiving the plants today to start cycling.

I wanted to share the setup. Hosted a pic on ImgBB and was trying to post it but it doesn't show :confused:

IMG_20200414_172811.jpg
IMG_20200410_162628.jpg

Looks good! Yeah that film is 100% normal. It will keep growing for quite a while unless something in their is eating it. (Usually inverts) some people who don’t keep scavengers just occasionally wipe it off but it does no harm and , as I said, most things will gobble it up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom