New shrimp for the bowl.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to Walmart yesterday and passed by their little fish section.

Usually it's pretty dismal and poorly maintained but I like looking at the fish anyway. Well they do have a small tank for ghost shrimp, 38 c/shrimp.

Well in the middle of this small mob of shrimp is a monster. He's roughly 1.75-2" long and is mostly clear. With the exception of a few blue streaks on his body. As soon as I saw him I knew he wasn't a ghost shrimp.

Can someone give a positive ID on this guy, and possible care tips and tricks. I don't usually impulse buy, but I thought this was too good to pass up. He's in his own little compartment now with some plants.

I'll attach a picture for help.

I tried in the inverts section and nothing's come up yet. Right now he's chilling by himself in my new planted bowl, which you can see in the planted bowl thread.

Attachments

• image-189921328.jpg
    image-189921328.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 99
One of the macrobrachium shrimps looks a lot like ghost shrimp.

Here's a thread on this forum that discusses them. Sounds as if you can tell the difference from the arms on the macrobrachium as opposed to ghost shrimp.

Here's a Google images search result for macrobrachium. There are several different species and some of them get huge, but macrobrachium assamense stays about the size of an adult ghost shrimp, only it's very aggressive and territorial.

Look at the photos and compare them to your shrimp. You may just have a big ghost shrimp.

Hmmm now Im getting kind of suspicious of one of the ghost shrimp I just recently bought, it is pretty big compared to the others. I think its around 1 inch. I have it in a planted bowl.

Attachments

• image-469752307.jpg
    image-469752307.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image-340398159.jpg
    image-340398159.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for the links sharpchick. The one thing that's not letting me say its just a behemoth of a ghost shrimp are these blue streaks. I'll try and get a better picture up later.

Thanks for the help so far.

I found your thread in the inverts sub-forum.

I think you may be right. The whisker shrimp is a Macrobrachium lamarrei lamarrei.

Here's a thread on another message board with a super photo of the shrimp.

That's definitely it. Thanks for finding that picture for verification.

I was just about to come on here and say I can see the long arms up front and have a little more faith in an identification, and here is your post with a pic.

Mystery solved. Now to figure out how to make the little guy happy.

Back
Top Bottom