New tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYMustang50

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK so short little story. Had a 36 bow front fresh water tank ran for 5 years with a canister filter. Upgraded to a used 72 bow front that my uncle gave me including his canister filter of a fluval 404. So I ran the 72 in replacement of the 36 for about another 3-6 years with his fluval 404. Now the 72 bow the top hood plastic that goes around the whole tank and has the separator in the middle broke so I replaced it last year (boy was that a pain) then now a year later I came home to my tank half empty on my floor of my room it leaked out from bottom of the bow now. So browed a tank from my girlfriends sister and have all my fish and filter and air pump all in that now for time being as I redo my room as my floors ruined. But I'm looking at getting a new tank. My girl friend works for Petsmart and they have a 120 gallon tank with stand and hood and i think a undergravel filter for 530 thats including her discount. What type of filter setup do I need to run. Like I said I have a 404 fluval now. I read on line some people are running two of them at opposite ends. ALso I'm running a Whisper Air Pump 100. Do I need bigger or a second one? Also I'm running a Marineland Visi-Therm 400w I believe but I will check when I get home. Do I need another heater as well? What else would you all recommend? and should I get new filter media for both filters? or keep with the old and get new if I add another filter? I never ran a tank so big so Im really at a lost. I'm really up for suggestions on everything so no ideas will be dismissed.

Thanks all,

Sorry to hear about your tank leaking out like that. That's terrible news. But despite that tragedy, you still find it in you to stay in the hobby. Kudos to you!

Although I don't have direct expertise for filtration of a tank your size, i do think highly of fluval filters. I would say go with either a fluval FX6 with a circulation pump (ie. hydor korallia) on the opposite end.. or get two fluval 406 cans and place those on opposite ends.

You should use the media they come with but keep your seasoned media viable with beneficial bacteria to seed the new filters.

Ever think about expanding this hobby into the planted tank genre? You've been in FW long enough, I think you can seriously elevate it with a planted aquascape! :)

I have a 404 so all I would need is another 406 and there the same. I can just split up the media in my current 404 with the new 406 and add new media to both.

As far as the planted I never ran one. Do plants and fw fish do well? Even in no direct sun as this tank is in my room in a basement?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah that filter plan sounds good to me. Plus, I know petsmart sells the 406 so you can get a discount. Maybe to play it safe, if you're going to continue to use the 404, you should buy a tune up kit. Like replace the rubber gasket to ensure no leaks.

FW fish do WAY better in a planted tank - with the exception of larger non-dwarf cichlids. Plants help by naturally filtering the water. They also provide an aesthetically pleasing environment for you to enjoy and also the fish. Fish live happier and with less stress in a planted tank. Actually natural sunlight is bad. It would cause algae in most cases. Instead, you light your tank with either T5's or high output LEDs. You can start a planted tank roughly three degrees of difficulty as follows:

Low light - commonly referred to as "low tech", easiest to do with low light tolerant plants. Light level is below 30 PAR (photosynthetic active radiation). Less ferts, no CO2 needed, rarely trim, and perfect for beginners. Most cases, no special substrate needed. Root tabs, maybe... depending on substrate and plants (i.e. swords or crypts). For examples, look up "Low Tech Planted Tanks."

Moderate light - slightly more difficult. Light level is 30 to 79 PAR. More options on plant species. CO2 or liquid carbon needed to avoid algae and keep plants healthy and thriving. Comprehensive fertilizer regimen needed. More difficult but can look lush. Examples fall somewhere in between low tech and high tech. Maybe look up medium light planted tank. Perfect for "nature aquascape."

High light - commonly referred to as "high tech planted tanks." 80+ PAR light. It's fairly difficult but not impossible. Just takes experience and/or a lot of research and reading to learn. CO2 injected and lots of ferts need dedicate balancing with light to avoid algae. But plants get real colorful with reds and many plant species to choose from. Fast growing so lots of trimming. For examples, look up "Dutch Aquascape" and "Iwagumi".

If you're interested in the planted tank option, start a thread in the planted tanks section here. Lots of knowledgeable folks here ready to help. :)

Last edited:
I would say it's an entry level okay brand. In that category of tanks, I think aqueon and marineland are better.

Back
Top Bottom