New Tank and Equipment Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerstud652

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to transfer my African Chichlids to a bigger tank, around 55 gallons. I wanted to know what type of tank you suggest, I was thinking of a TopFin they had at PetSmart. I am going to use a Rena Air Pump and a Visitherm Heater. What type of filter is the best I can get, I don't care how much it costs because I have learned if you get the best, it pays off in the long run.

The TopFin sounds fine.

Filter wise, I am in love with my Cascade 1000. I had it on my 55 gal and transfered it over to the 150 gal and bought another Cascade to pick up the slack. Here's a link to it from Big Al's.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22583;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

It is for up to 100 gal, but it is best to overfilter a Cichlid tank. IMO, I wouldn't use anything less. Cichlids are very messy fish and can cause your water quality to be very poor if you don't have the proper filtration.

Also, when you buy the canister, be sure to also buy Ceramic rings (or something similar) and use in place of the carbon. It holds more bacteria than carbon.

I would go with an Eheim filter. I have a Fluval 404 on my 125 and it does a great job BUT it is a pain in the backside seating area to get going after I clean it up. The Eheim I had on my 75 was a great filter and was easy to get going. An Eheim 2215 would be fine for your 55, overfilter it with a 2217 and you will be quite happy. By overfiltering it you reduce your filter maintenance as well.

Overfiltering would be like putting a filter that is made for a 100 gal tank on a 55 gal tank. Which is what I did on my African Cichlid tank beacuse they are MESSY fish. Some fish, like Bettas and Angels, can not tolerate the excess current.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom