new tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndriscoll1322

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the aquarium world. I currently have a 20 gal. high tank that is undergoing a cycle/ is under observation. If everything checks out I would like some ideas on what to put in it. I was thinking a pleco tank, but I heard they were very territorial. Maybe a semi aggressive tank? Help please!!

I am new to the aquarium world. I currently have a 20 gal. high tank that is undergoing a cycle/ is under observation. If everything checks out I would like some ideas on what to put in it. I was thinking a pleco tank, but I heard they were very territorial. Maybe a semi aggressive tank? Help please!!

I would stay away from plecos. I only know of one that might stay small enough for a 20 gallon and I have never been able to find it in a store.

How are you cycling your tank, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not very good at helping to stock a tank without overstocking. I haven't learned all the right ways to do it. I can tell you some semi-aggressive fish I like and maybe that will help give you some ideas as to what you would want in your tank.

I like bettas, but for a 20 gallon, I would probably put him/her with a small group of cory cats. You might be able to have a small school of another small fish, but you would have to stay away from any that have a reputation of nipping fins. Bettas are easily made victims of fin nipping, which causes them a lot of stress, leading potentially to other issues with him/her.

Gouramis are another choice. As far as I know, they all can do fine in a 20 gallon, but I have only owned a dwarf gourami. If you wanted more than one, you would have to look into compatibility, because some species of gouramis will fight like two male bettas while others can be fine together.

Cichlids are another semi-aggressive fish. I have not had any, though I would like to. I believe most will not work in a 20 gallon, but some might. I think German blue rams stay small. Someone else may correct me on this one.

I hope this helps give you ideas for your tank!!

If you like schooling fish you could do some rasboras or some barbs or tetras... How about Cory cats? I really like tiger barbs and harlequin rasboras :)

I would stay away from plecos. I only know of one that might stay small enough for a 20 gallon and I have never been able to find it in a store.

How are you cycling your tank, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not very good at helping to stock a tank without overstocking. I haven't learned all the right ways to do it. I can tell you some semi-aggressive fish I like and maybe that will help give you some ideas as to what you would want in your tank.

I like bettas, but for a 20 gallon, I would probably put him/her with a small group of cory cats. You might be able to have a small school of another small fish, but you would have to stay away from any that have a reputation of nipping fins. Bettas are easily made victims of fin nipping, which causes them a lot of stress, leading potentially to other issues with him/her.

Gouramis are another choice. As far as I know, they all can do fine in a 20 gallon, but I have only owned a dwarf gourami. If you wanted more than one, you would have to look into compatibility, because some species of gouramis will fight like two male bettas while others can be fine together.

Cichlids are another semi-aggressive fish. I have not had any, though I would like to. I believe most will not work in a 20 gallon, but some might. I think German blue rams stay small. Someone else may correct me on this one.

I hope this helps give you ideas for your tank!!

I just had a huge die off happen after transferring from a 10 to the 20 gallon. So as far as cycling goes I'm just going to constantly monitor everything until I feel comfortable with it again. There are 2 guppies still alive and 3 ghost shrimp. I would love to have a chiclid tank, but I'm not ready for that yet. I think barbs would be cool. ( I had 3 that died in the transfer)

Do you have a test kit? A liquid test kit is best. How often are you doing water changes? What water conditioner are you using? I don't mean to seem overbearing. I would like to help you have success with your new tank.

Do you have a test kit? A liquid test kit is best. How often are you doing water changes? What water conditioner are you using? I don't mean to seem overbearing. I would like to help you have success with your new tank.

I need to get a liquid test kit ( I only have the strips). I was doing was doing water changes bi-weekly. As far as conditioner goes I just used the tetra stuff that came in the kit. Do you have any suggestions on conditioner?

Tetra is what I use. For cycling, I would suggest Seachem Prime. It would help give you a little play room to keep your water safe. I used it during my cycle. I have scoliosis and a partially reconstructed knee. When they were bothered a lot, I would dose the tank with prime so that I could wait till my dad got home from work and could carry the bucket to the sink.

An elegant looking centerpiece fish that looks good in tall tanks would be one male Pearl Gourami(Trichogaster Leeri). They get to about 4" max but most you buy will be about 2.5 to 3". They move gracefully like angels, but don't need quite as big a tank. When they color up they get their famous "robin red breast" and their "pearls" really stand out and look elegant. They are usually very attentive toward their owner. OS

I was thinking about maybe a ghost knife fish, but I've heard mixed reviews on them. And I don't know if the tank is big enough. Or maybe a puffer fish. I'm not sure how I want to go yet lol

Fw puffers

A lot of puffers need brackish and some ore fresh water. They are really cool but the only problem is that with most species you can only have one in the tank size you have. You will need to do research but puffers are an option.

For just one?

Yup. They can potentially reach a size of 18 inches and while shy they will eat anything that fits into their mouth.

One type of puffer you could do is a dwarf puffer. They only get about an inch long so in a 20 gal you could have around 3 but unfortunately not much else (they are nippy and territorial).

Another fun option is just doing a nice community tank. You could do something like this:

8 small schooling fish (rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, forktail rainbowfish)
5 small cories (pygmy and panda are good ones)
1 centerpiece (dwarf or honey gourami, German or Bolivian ram)

I'd skip any sort of pleco in that small of a tank.

Yup. They can potentially reach a size of 18 inches and while shy they will eat anything that fits into their mouth.

One type of puffer you could do is a dwarf puffer. They only get about an inch long so in a 20 gal you could have around 3 but unfortunately not much else (they are nippy and territorial).

Another fun option is just doing a nice community tank. You could do something like this:

8 small schooling fish (rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, forktail rainbowfish)
5 small cories (pygmy and panda are good ones)
1 centerpiece (dwarf or honey gourami, German or Bolivian ram)

I'd skip any sort of pleco in that small of a tank.

Thanks for the options. Puffers don't really have and good tank mates? Do like the idea of a GBR as a centerpiece too

Back
Top Bottom