New Tank - Light Fixture Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZaphodB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

So I'm new here and I'm starting a new freshwater tank with my daughter (11). We plan to have a peaceful community tank with live plants (easy ones though). We've purchased a 20 gallon tank and a few other supplies (filter, heater, substrate, the obligatory "Sponge Bob Squarepants" pineapple house, etc.) and I'm looking at lights now. After reading a lot of reviews I think I've settled on the Ecoxotic E-series lights, although I'm open to further suggestions on that as well. My question is which size to get, the E-45 (18"-24") or the E-60 (24"-36"). The opening of the tank is just over 24" and the depth is just under 17". Based on that I think either would work but I don't want to spend the extra money for the E-60 if it's not necessary.

Thanks!
ZB

I would save some money and get the Finnex Planted Plus 24/7. The 24" model retails just under $88 on Amazon (qualifies for Prime), has enough power for that depth and some, and has dimming capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the reply! I should have mentioned that we wanted automatic timing and a moon phase. That seemed to have limited us to something like the Marineland Aquatic Plant LED or the E-series. I looked at the Satellite LED+ also but it seemed that in general people thought the light quality was better on the E-series. I'm just going off reviews I read and saw on YouTube so I'm definitely open to other options that would fit the bill.

I used to have a reef tank several years ago and I still have my mutli-phase timer from that but I didn't really want to get daytime lights and a moon phase separately (my old lighting system is long gone), plus I like the idea of having the programming be part of the lighting system. We only really want the moon phase for the aesthetics but I also like that the E-series has a dawn and dusk transition. It is a bit pricey but it seems like most people have been pretty impressed with it. I'm just not sure if I need the 24" model or not. If it's a worthwhile investment I don't mind it though. Just figured I could save $70-80 by going with the 18" model. Just not sure if that will be enough light at the edges and I couldn't find any more information online to help with the decision.

Thanks for the reply Coursair. I'm pretty much sold on the 24" model now for the reasons you mentioned. As for what we want to grow, it's the simpler things like Java Fern, Amazon Swords, etc. I'm still researching that part actually. The list I found here was my starting point:

10 Best Freshwater Aquarium Plants for Beginners

I think the E-series is probably overkill for the types of plants we're looking to raise but I like the other features as I explained earlier. Plus we can lower the light intensity to support these "low-tech" plants. Any advice there is also appreciated. :)

I have the E60 and have had no issues. Have had it about a year. Very powerful but fully adjustable. I love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom