New tank old filter, how long before adding fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fran59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a new freshwater 29 gallon. I have a 20 gallon with a well established Aqua clear 50 filter I replaced the sponge in it about a week ago and put the sponge in to new Aqua clear 30 that is on the 29 gallon. I'm down to very few fish in the 20 gallon. A guppy and a sparkle eye something or other plus a few nerite snails, and the main fish is a bolivian ram. Today I moved the 2 small fish & snails to the 29, but am really anxious to add the bolivian. Since the Aqua clear 50 would be moved to the 29 when the Bolivian is, would it be safe to do that now? Thanks for any help!

Your Tank

I am setting up a new freshwater 29 gallon. I have a 20 gallon with a well established Aqua clear 50 filter I replaced the sponge in it about a week ago and put the sponge in to new Aqua clear 30 that is on the 29 gallon. I'm down to very few fish in the 20 gallon. A guppy and a sparkle eye something or other plus a few nerite snails, and the main fish is a bolivian ram. Today I moved the 2 small fish & snails to the 29, but am really anxious to add the bolivian. Since the Aqua clear 50 would be moved to the 29 when the Bolivian is, would it be safe to do that now? Thanks for any help!

Hello Fran...

You can move the other fish, just monitor the tank water every day for a while. You want to test for traces of ammonia or nitrite just like you do when cycling a tank with fish. If you have a positive test for either, then remove and replace a quarter of the water with treated tap water. Do this until there's no trace of these forms of nitrogen.

Add a floating plant to the new tank as well. Hornwort is inexpensive and readily available at most pet stores that sell fish. The plant will help maintain a stable water chemistry.

B

You should move the fish as soon as possible after moving the established filter.

Back
Top Bottom