New tank possibly for cherry red shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On your long tank I think it would look nice with a simple background on it and your vase tank and long tank look pretty good...and I would put your betta in the long tank if I were you he would be a lot more happy...and also I would recommend getting some java moss for the long one

I thinking of leaving it without a background so alot of light can come through, then building up the plants more so that they create a background :)
Thank you :D I didn't realise I can turn up the bubbles too it looks nice when they're really going!

Yea I was thinking of putting Mango in the long tank too, I think for now im going to put in the matching gravel and a real plant for him, so that I can cycle the long tank properly before swapping him in to it. Will there be any restrictions on tank mates if I put him in there? And are there any small fish that would be happy in the smaller tank, I think it would be ok for one small fish.. just not sure what type.

Yea I'll have to keep a look out for java moss, they didn't seem to have a big range in the stores I went to yesterday, going to a different one today to see if I can find a HOB filter for the long one.. not sure I want a canister :/

Does anyone have any lighting recommendations, mainly for the long tank, but for the vase as well (I was told the L.E.Ds recommended before wouldn't help the plants at all, since its in a window will they need extra lighting?)

I saw these Betta Tank Update: May 2012 - YouTube (skip to about 3:30 to see them) But apparently theyre made specifically for another tank and i dont have a glass lid on mine to attach them too, are there any lights like this that can be clipped on the back?

Oh wow thats just what I'm looking for! :D

Tank update 2 - YouTube

Here is the tank update for today, sorted out Mangos tank with some matching gravel and 2 real plants (Are these ok for him? Also the one at the front can it be taken out of the black plastic case or is that what weighs it down?

The middle tank has a lot of new plants.. maybe too many, cant seem to arrange them in a way I like :p couldn't find any java moss yet but i'll keep looking.

The last tank has a new plant at the back too. But it was annoying as hell to get in there because i kept uprooting the long one! I also have a heater for this one now :)

There's one problem however.. i have rigged up the pump to go to the wand and the filter in the vase tank, but the bubble wand seems to be stealing all the air, because although it was working in this video it stopped not long after and doesn't seem to be powerful enough to work both.. should I go for another small one and run the tanks separately, or get a bigger version of my pump to work both?

Quick edit ive brought a larger pump now along with the HOB filter and the light you recommended :) (this has turned out to be rather expensive but will be worth it when the fish are in and happy :) Hopefully this set up will last me a long time!

Ok so for restriction on tankmates with your betta I would say no guppys or dwarf Gouramis and not nippy type of fish or fish with long flowing fins that your betta might nip at...I would say an Otto cat maybe some Pygmy Cory's or some kuhli loaches would go good in the long tank with your betta along with some rcs or you could get at least six neon tetras but I'm not to sure about that...and fish for your small tank if you are talking about the one your betta is in now I would say that no fish would do very good in there...and your tanks are looking great I'm ready to see how they end up when they are done

I'm sorry but with a betta it's really hit and miss as to what tank mates they can have.

Some fish don't mind being part of a community, but others can't be in a tank with their own shadow!

I like the idea of corys. Maybe several corys or maybe ghost shrimp for the long tank?

Khuli loaches need much bigger tanks that's what you have (they can reach 10cm!)

It's best leaving the betta where it is for now because it seems happy enough :)

Ok so for restriction on tankmates with your betta I would say no guppys or dwarf Gouramis and not nippy type of fish or fish with long flowing fins that your betta might nip at...I would say an Otto cat maybe some Pygmy Cory's or some kuhli loaches would go good in the long tank with your betta along with some rcs or you could get at least six neon tetras but I'm not to sure about that...and fish for your small tank if you are talking about the one your betta is in now I would say that no fish would do very good in there...and your tanks are looking great I'm ready to see how they end up when they are done

I was told at the store today to either leave the beta where he is (they even told me I could add a female in with him) but I think its definitely too small for that! Could I have my male betta in with a few females in the long tank? How many fish do you think I can have in there? Or if I put the beta in the long one then they said because the tank stays at room temperature all the time I could have some cloud minnows in there, They are really small so I thought if I did go for that I could just get 2 and they'd have more room in there compared to the betta?

Does anyone have any lighting recommendations, mainly for the long tank, but for the vase as well (I was told the L.E.Ds recommended before wouldn't help the plants at all, since its in a window will they need extra lighting?)

I saw these Betta Tank Update: May 2012 - YouTube (skip to about 3:30 to see them) But apparently theyre made specifically for another tank and i dont have a glass lid on mine to attach them too, are there any lights like this that can be clipped on the back?

Is it me or is she not pronouncing beta properly?

I'm sorry but with a betta it's really hit and miss as to what tank mates they can have.

Some fish don't mind being part of a community, but others can't be in a tank with their own shadow!

I like the idea of corys. Maybe several corys or maybe ghost shrimp for the long tank?

Khuli loaches need much bigger tanks that's what you have (they can reach 10cm!)

It's best leaving the betta where it is for now because it seems happy enough :)

Ahh ok, I was thinking if I move the betta to the long one, maybe getting him some girlfriends? :p This tank has one male and a few females all different colours, if I maybe had him in with 2 or 3 female betta and some shrimp would that leave any room for other fish?

Petco Bookshelf Aquarium - YouTube

I was told at the store today to either leave the beta where he is (they even told me I could add a female in with him) but I think its definitely too small for that! Could I have my male betta in with a few females in the long tank? How many fish do you think I can have in there? Or if I put the beta in the long one then they said because the tank stays at room temperature all the time I could have some cloud minnows in there, They are really small so I thought if I did go for that I could just get 2 and they'd have more room in there compared to the betta?

I wouldn't mix males and females tbh, they females can be just as aggressive as males can.

Mixing them could cause some serious fighting and maybe even death for some of the fish :(

Cloud minnows do well in cooler waters than what the Betta need to survive, sadly mixing them will be bad for one or the other :/

If you could work out the volume of the long tank we can help you stock it with a nice bunch of fish :)

I wouldn't mix males and females tbh, they females can be just as aggressive as males can.

Mixing them could cause some serious fighting and maybe even death for some of the fish :(

Cloud minnows do well in cooler waters than what the Betta need to survive, sadly mixing them will be bad for one or the other :/

If you could work out the volume of the long tank we can help you stock it with a nice bunch of fish :)

aww okay. Oh no I meant if I put the betta in the long tank could I put 2 cloud minnows in the small tank by themselves? The small tank isnt currently heated but it stays room temperature most of the time. Hm ok I will try and figure it out :p

I put in the tank dimensions onto a website and it said my tank is roughly 5.19 UK gallons or 6.23 US gallons.. does that help? :p

aww okay. Oh no I meant if I put the betta in the long tank could I put 2 cloud minnows in the small tank by themselves? The small tank isnt currently heated but it stays room temperature most of the time. Hm ok I will try and figure it out :p

Ohhhhh I see what you mean with te minnows, I'm sure that would be ok so long as you kept up PWCs :)

All you need in length x depth x height.

It looks about 2ft long x 10inches deep x 10inches high.

Which is 2400 cubic inches or around 40 litres.

With displacement from plants and gravel it'll be around 32-35 litres :)

You can get some nice fish for that ^_^

Ohhhhh I see what you mean with te minnows, I'm sure that would be ok so long as you kept up PWCs :)

All you need in length x depth x height.

It looks about 2ft long x 10inches deep x 10inches high.

Which is 2400 cubic inches or around 40 litres.

With displacement from plants and gravel it'll be around 32-35 litres :)

You can get some nice fish for that ^_^

Hm I measured it again its 24 X 8 X 8inches

Its just about 25 litres, minus gravel, plants etc

It does ^_^

I'd say you could get around 4 Pygmy corys in the bottom of that tank ^_^

That's if Mr Betta is a Mr Grumpy Gills lol.

Ha! So how many fish altogether do you think I can have in there if I move my betta in there too?

NOOOOOOOOO DON'T PUT HIM WITH ANY FEMALES THEY WILL MOST LIKELY FIGHT!!!but you could probably put a few females in there by them selves

NOOOOOOOOO DON'T PUT HIM WITH ANY FEMALES THEY WILL MOST LIKELY FIGHT!!!but you could probably put a few females in there by them selves

Aww okay I won't.. hm if they always fight how do they make babies!! :eek:

VERY CAREFULLY!! Lol :p

Haha! XD I saw 3 beautiful little betta girls at my fish store today, one red, one blue and one pink! It would be nice if I could tell my fish apart :) But with fish like neon tetras I dont mind so much since they look nice swimming in a group!

If I had the 3 betta girls for example how many other fish could I add roughly?

Also do corys have to live in groups? like do you need atleast X amount for them to be happy?

Back
Top Bottom