New tank possibly for cherry red shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha! XD I saw 3 beautiful little betta girls at my fish store today, one red, one blue and one pink! It would be nice if I could tell my fish apart :) But with fish like neon tetras I dont mind so much since they look nice swimming in a group!

If I had the 3 betta girls for example how many other fish could I add roughly?

If you had the 3 girls I'd say you'd be stocked, but you may wanna read up on betta sororities first :)

If you had the 3 girls I'd say you'd be stocked, but you may wanna read up on betta sororities first :)

Hmm Ive had a quick read.. the 3 bettas I saw were all in the same tank, ive looked at them a few times over the last few days the red and blue swim about alot doing their own thing and the little pink girl hides at the back.. since they are all in a tank together already do you think theyd be ok? Also, it says stressed betta will jump out.. when my filter and light comes I wont have a lid on the tank at all.. does this mean it will be unsuitable for betta girls? :(

Also if I decided not to go for betta girls at all and just move Mango over, how many other fish could I put with him?

I forgot you won't have a lid!

Ermmm, without a lid it's really risky keeping a betta as they are known to jump to different pools of water in the wild, so you may find a betta on your floor one day :c

Bottom dwelling fish may be the best bet for that tank now.

I'm not sure but Pygmy corys stay rather small and seeing as how you have a long tank, the larger footprint will benefit them :)

I forgot you won't have a lid!

Ermmm, without a lid it's really risky keeping a betta as they are known to jump to different pools of water in the wild, so you may find a betta on your floor one day :c

Bottom dwelling fish may be the best bet for that tank now.

I'm not sure but Pygmy corys stay rather small and seeing as how you have a long tank, the larger footprint will benefit them :)

Ha if one jumped out I think my puppy or cats would have it before I could get to the little girl! Mango has an open top tank and he has never jumped do you think he would still be ok in there?

Aww :( no girly bettas for me. Hm I think over the next few visits to the pet store (I practically live there) I will make a little list of the fish I like and then I can ask if they would be suitable :)

Ha if one jumped out I think my puppy or cats would have it before I could get to the little girl! Mango has an open top tank and he has never jumped do you think he would still be ok in there?

Aww :( no girly bettas for me. Hm I think over the next few visits to the pet store (I practically live there) I will make a little list of the fish I like and then I can ask if they would be suitable :)

I've had a fish jump from my net right into my Gfs rat cage -_-

Poor little neon didn't stand a chance...

If you make a list ill be happy to go through it with you!

I've had a fish jump from my net right into my Gfs rat cage -_-

Poor little neon didn't stand a chance...

If you make a list ill be happy to go through it with you!

Noooo!!! poor neon :p Aww thanks so much!

I like neons can they go in? :p

I watched an episode of a show called Tanked yesterday too (going fish mad I think) and they showed one called a cow fish :p It was so funny, but I take it those are for salt water tanks!

Neons need a larger tank as they are active little buggers lol ^_^

I love Tanked, haven't been able to watch it for a while though :c

Hmm okay, I'll get on that list soon then :) By the way, for the cycling process I haven't been able to find pure ammonia anywhere.. and i brought a master test kit but then i found out my pet store test your water for free and tell you what to do so I think I might take it back.. but they suggested today putting in a packet of gel.. i cant find it on their site so im not 100% what it was called.. but they said if I put that in it would help establish the tank faster.. they also suggested this and said they use it on their tanks NUTRAFIN CYCLE 120ML [A7900] - £7.49 : Petstop Pet Shop, Online pet store providing expert advice (although their tanks have been up and running for 6 months so I'm a bit sceptical about whether it would work)

Hmm okay, I'll get on that list soon then :) By the way, for the cycling process I haven't been able to find pure ammonia anywhere.. and i brought a master test kit but then i found out my pet store test your water for free and tell you what to do so I think I might take it back.. but they suggested today putting in a packet of gel.. i cant find it on their site so im not 100% what it was called.. but they said if I put that in it would help establish the tank faster.. they also suggested this and said they use it on their tanks NUTRAFIN CYCLE 120ML [A7900] - £7.49 : Petstop Pet Shop, Online pet store providing expert advice (although their tanks have been up and running for 6 months so I'm a bit sceptical about whether it would work)

I use Jeyes Kleen Off

image-67832373.jpg

It worked great for me and my local DIY store stocked it ^_^

It's best to keep your test so you can test it if there's ever a death or and emergency outside of store opening hours :)

As for the products that cycle a tank quicker, they're kinda hit and miss, best best is to get some media from an established filter :)

Ok so how many us gallons is 25 litres....sorry I'm bad with conversions

I use Jeyes Kleen Off

It's best to keep your test so you can test it if there's ever a death or and emergency outside of store opening hours :)

As for the products that cycle a tank quicker, they're kinda hit and miss, best best is to get some media from an established filter :)

Tetra safe start uses a different kind of bacteria and is raved about in all reviews http://amzn.to/10WhQRq

I use Jeyes Kleen Off

View attachment 176175

Ordered some :) Was expecting this to cost around £30-£40 max when I started... its cost so much more T_T

Ordered some :) Was expecting this to cost around £30-£40 max when I started... its cost so much more T_T

Sadly fish keeping in the UK costs us a fortune!

A friend got a filter and tank for me when he visited the US and paid for shipping and it was cheaper than it would cost here!

I can see filters for $45 costing as much as £65 here!

So have you for sure decided on wether or not you are putting your betta(mango right???) in the long tank or not

Sadly fish keeping in the UK costs us a fortune!

A friend got a filter and tank for me when he visited the US and paid for shipping and it was cheaper than it would cost here!

I can see filters for $45 costing as much as £65 here!

I know its crazy how pricey everything is! I measured up the filter I brought earlier.. its going to take up the entire side of my tank XD Should keep it super clean though! If all this fails I might actually cry :p

So have you for sure decided on wether or not you are putting your betta(mango right???) in the long tank or not

Not 100% sure yet.. It will either be him in the long tank with a few pals :) and then 2 little cloud minnows in his tank. Or keep him in there if he seems happy still by the time the new tank is ready. Be nice to see him in more space though :)

I know its crazy how pricey everything is! I measured up the filter I brought earlier.. its going to take up the entire side of my tank XD Should keep it super clean though! If all this fails I might actually cry :p

Haha I've spent a ton of money on projects and seem them fail completely, but that was more on my career side of things lol.

You've planned everything out so really I can't see it fail :)

Back
Top Bottom