New tank, question about lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey P

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, not just a new tank, but new to everything. My daughter suckered me into one of those 2g neon tanks about a month ago and it's been such a PITA to keep up with that I finally decided to fill up one of my 40 gallon tanks that I used to use for lizards.
My first question was going to be what I could do to quiet down an Aqueon 55/75 filter, but a strategically placed (aquarium) sponge at the intake did the trick just fine.

So, today I went out and bought a light for it. (This kind) It fit right on top, I measured and cut the notch out of the back for the filter and when I put the front part on I realized that it's not nearly deep enough. My tank is a breeder and probably (I'd have to measure) about 16 inches from front to back. This leaves a rather sizable gap in the front*.
I don't see any lights like this for a breeder tank and since I already cut it, I'm not sure I want to try to return it.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone make any kind of a filler or extension or is anyone else in this situation?

*I haven't tried sliding it forward, but even if it looks nice it's not going to do anything to slow down evaporation.

Back
Top Bottom