New tank stock check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceDown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Getting ready to start my first tank. I started the cycle a couple days ago so I have a little while before it's ready for fish. It's a 46g bowfront. I've got a Marineland Emperor 400 filter going in it. The only thing I'm not really sure on is the stock. I'm mainly after a nice variety of smaller fish. Here was my initial thought.

4x Guppies
10x Various Mollies
8x Neon Tetra
6x Glofish

AqAdvisor has these stats
Filtration capacity: 115%
Stocking Level: 94%

Thoughts, Ideas, suggestions, and considering how cold it is outside, flames wouldn't be taken to badly either.

Ok, 5 mollies. Good to know. Any other suggestions? Fish I might need or want to trade out?

I would skip either the mollies or the guppies. They can interbreed very quickly and leave you massively overstocked with fry that no lfs will take. If you get all males you are looking for lots of aggression issues as well. I would personally avoid the livebearers altogether I would do a pair of koi or marble veil tail angels for that bunch of color in your centerpiece fish. Skip the neons and go with cardinal tetras. The difference in the tetras is the red goes all across the body of the cardinal and they are slightly larger. As far as the glofish goes I am not a fan of anything genetically modified, but to each their own. Just check the source type of fish for compatibility. The zebra danios type have the tendency to be nippy and very busy making the other fish more nervous. I believe the other type is a white skirt tetra. But you will have to the research on the individual fish to make sure if the are compatible don't depend on your LFS to help you make an informed decision you need to do that yourself. And watch out for what I believe is a tiger barb that they are calling a green tiger. Then need schools of 10+ to keep their nippiness to themselves as they are semi-aggressive.

I would skip either the mollies or the guppies. They can interbreed very quickly and leave you massively overstocked with fry that no lfs will take. If you get all males you are looking for lots of aggression issues as well. I would personally avoid the livebearers altogether I would do a pair of koi or marble veil tail angels for that bunch of color in your centerpiece fish. Skip the neons and go with cardinal tetras. The difference in the tetras is the red goes all across the body of the cardinal and they are slightly larger. As far as the glofish goes I am not a fan of anything genetically modified, but to each their own. Just check the source type of fish for compatibility. The zebra danios type have the tendency to be nippy and very busy making the other fish more nervous. I believe the other type is a white skirt tetra. But you will have to the research on the individual fish to make sure if the are compatible don't depend on your LFS to help you make an informed decision you need to do that yourself. And watch out for what I believe is a tiger barb that they are calling a green tiger. Then need schools of 10+ to keep their nippiness to themselves as they are semi-aggressive.

+1 agreed

Can drop the guppies. I had neon picked because I read several places cardinals don't do so well in a new tank but if you think they would be fine I would prefer the cardinals. The glofish are to satisfy the gf. And I'm confused as to the last half of your post, it seemed to wander way off or I'm just not seeing the connection. You lost me around zebra. And I don't really have a lfs anywhere near, maybe 2-3 hours away.. Just have the local petsmart lineup which isn't much of a choice either.

The glofish are derived from zebra danios, white skirt tetras, and tiger barbs. They still maintain all of the characteristics of their actually type of fish other than their colors. It's just something to keep in mind when choosing your fish.
I have had cardinals in my tanks since I cycled them and I haven't had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom