New tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabydoodle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got a new 10 gal tank and got it all set up yesterday. I went to this amazing fish place yesterday and the guy said that any fish I want..just call up and ask for it and he'll get it for me.

What are some neat fish that are easy to take care of?
I like a lot of color and cool stuff (who doesn't?)

I want some neon tetras and galaxy rasboras.....any other suggestions??

Oh, and here's my tank:

n1342020172_30393471_9419.jpg

What are some neat fish that are easy to take care of?
I like a lot of color and cool stuff

Xipho (Xiphophorus helleri) and guppy. They are perfect for your 10gallons tank. But they are not always compatibil with neons tetra or rasbora.
LE: I had neon tetras and it's difficult to grown if you're not giving atention on parameters and temperature.
If you are a beginer i'm not recomanded you neon tetra.
Bye!

cute tank, I would get a few fancy guppies or maybe make it a shrimp tank!

Yeah I'm thinking maybe some guppies...but I want as much as a variety as I can get. No shrimp for meeee.

there is a pretty big varity when it comes to guppies so you will def. have lots of color!

Well I want all different sizes though, and different looks and shapes, you know? I do like guppies though. A lot.

I have seen some beautiful ones but the only place I can find really unique ones are online and some site charge like crazy for them. I love guppies they are beautiful, that's what I am looking for my 55g lots of color! I have 3 fancy guppies now but would love to find other colorful ones, also I wish the females were as colorful as the males!

Suggestions:
5 galaxy rasboras (lucky!)
5 neons

OR

5-7 cardinal neons

OR

6-8 harlequin rasboras

OR

7 galaxy rasboras
3 pygmy cories
1 oto cat

OR

5 galaxy rasboras
3 panda cories

OR

1 male guppy
5-7 galaxy rasboras

OR

12 galaxy rasboras
1 oto cat

Lucky lucky that you can get those galaxy rasboras. /jealous

If you go with guppies, only purchase males or females that have not been in contact with males. DO NOT purchase both males and females. They will quickly fill that tank.

Suggestions:
5 galaxy rasboras (lucky!)
5 neons

OR

5-7 cardinal neons

OR

6-8 harlequin rasboras

OR

7 galaxy rasboras
3 pygmy cories
1 oto cat

OR

5 galaxy rasboras
3 panda cories

OR

1 male guppy
5-7 galaxy rasboras

OR

12 galaxy rasboras
1 oto cat

Lucky lucky that you can get those galaxy rasboras. /jealous

Hm..To be honest, some of those are quite ugly to me. I want as much variety and color as I can get! Can you think of any more combinations that would work and still look pretty?

Well I have a 10g that's currently cycling and I've been thinking non-stop day and night all the possibilities to stock it. I too strive for variety and for as many different fish as possible. Here are my thoughts:

Tetras need to be in groups of at least 5. As do rasboras.

1 male guppy would be happy as a loner.

Cories need to be in groups of at least 3. Dwarf cories would mean more fish up top.

1 oto would be fantastic and not add to my bioload, as long as I can keep it alive.

A pair of cherry barbs would be nice.

A pair of killifish would be nice.

I really really want harlequin rasboras.

1-3 male Endlers would be great. They are very colorful, males get along (and don't get pregnant), and they are small.

No pleco. No German Blue Rams. Decided against a betta because I want a community and tank is too small for a sorority.

Have considered RCS, but not sure if fish will just eat them or the RCS will take over.

I decided that I would just have to go look at the lfs and see what's available and what speaks to me.

Here's what I would stock my 10g with if all fish were available to me:
3 harlequin rasboras, 5 galaxy rasboras, 3 pygmy cories and 1 oto (or RCS). As much as I despise the color red, I have fallen in love with red fish.

Therefore my advice to you: find the fish you love. Recognize the boundaries of your tank. You can push the inch/gallon rule just a little (by 1 or 2 fish) as long as you keep tank clean. With a 10g you really can't have too much variety. That's the reality of a 10g.

One other possibility I contemplated:
3 neons, 3 cardinal neons, 3 black neons, 3 green neons. (and maybe some ghost shrimp for clean-up) Sounds cool. And then get a moonlight and you've got a techno-tank. lol

How about 5 Galaxy Rasboras (actual name now Celetial Danio if I remember right) and 5 Gertrude's Rainbowfish.

How about 5 Galaxy Rasboras (actual name now Celetial Danio if I remember right) and 5 Gertrude's Rainbowfish.

Whoa, those Rainbow fish are gorgeous!
Once my tank is done cycling then I'll keep these names in mind and go back to the fish place. The people that work there are suuuper knowledgeable and they'll help me pick the right fish.

Thanks guysss, keep the suggestions coming!

Back
Top Bottom