New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gmiked

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I'm new to AA. I am setting up a new tank for some Muties.
Please let me know what you think.
20 Long,
Acuaclear50 with an added sponge on intake
Sand substrait
21 torbo shells... more on the way
few rocks..
plants in for cycle onlym 1/2 way throught.. maybe 2 more weeks.

will order 8 Muties after cycle

Your input would be helpfull,
Mike

Attachments

• Copy of multis cichlid tank.jpg
    Copy of multis cichlid tank.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 60
looks like a good start... im going to have to upgrade my tank or get rid of some of my multies, they're reproducing like crazy... they've had 30+ fry since i got them a little over a month ago!

looks like a good start... im going to have to upgrade my tank or get rid of some of my multies, they're reproducing like crazy... they've had 30+ fry since i got them a little over a month ago!

Sounds like my kribs..haha

To the OP. Welcome to AA and thats a great looking tank. Your multi's will love it. Maybe more shells but thats coming from someone who is not as versed as mfd with multis.

Can you comment on how you are cycling the tank?

Be careful with the light level during the cycle. You have very few plants and I'm assuming you are supplying an ammonia source (based on your cycling comment). Typically we recommend performing the cycle with lights out, temp up, and good aeration. I'd think about removing the plants for now, growing them in a separate container and going with the lights out to prevent algae issues (green water).

Goodluck and welcome to AA!

thanks all.. >And yes i have more shell on oder should me here in a few days.
>lights are for the photo only off rest of time.. plants areto add bio... and give me some thingto look at.. hehe while i wait.
>this is my second tank that im cycling now,,, I saw the mutlis and had to make the addtion. 55gal tank is a week or so away or so nitrites spike at a peak.. Amm has been 0 after evey check and add 2.5ml to keep it going.
so I figure that I start this small tank with Amm and Nitriite water from the big one ... mabey it cycles faster??? I will keep you posted.

and of corse you input is a great help
Gmike

thanks all.. >And yes i have more shell on oder should me here in a few days.
>lights are for the photo only off rest of time.. plants areto add bio... and give me some thingto look at.. hehe while i wait.
>this is my second tank that im cycling now,,, I saw the mutlis and had to make the addtion. 55gal tank is a week or so away or so nitrites spike at a peak.. Amm has been 0 after evey check and add 2.5ml to keep it going.
so I figure that I start this small tank with Amm and Nitriite water from the big one ... mabey it cycles faster??? I will keep you posted.

and of corse you input is a great help
Gmike

Sounds like you did your homework alright! :) We just love to see someone that started off doing some research prior to just running out and buying fish and then coming with problems.

Your smaller tank will definitely cycle faster using the water from the 55. I've said it a couple times before on these forums but a smart company such as API or Flourish should sell a fishless cycle product that would include both ammonia and nitrIte in the same bottle. It would help to prevent the lag we all get while waiting for the nitrIte->nitrAte bacteria to catch up with the ammonia->nitrIte.

You might want to add some substrate from the 55 to the 10 unless you are not in a big hurry. 2 small plants will have beneficial bacteria on them, but not a lot and so the initial population doubling of the bacteria to even see an ammonia change might take a while. Adding in some substrate from the 55 should speed up the 10 considerably while barely effecting the 55's cycle.

Back
Top Bottom