New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MABJ

Aquarium Advice Addict
Buying a new 2 gallon for my betta. Just going to treat 75 degree water and put it in then put the betta in. That's okay right?

You really should cycle your tank first. That's what the majority of people on here will say. Look up the nitrogen cycle for more information.
Essentially its developing the proper bacteria to deal with the ammonia wastes your fish will produce.
Also most people will tell you that a Betta should have a larger tank, more like a 10-15. I can't say much because I've had them in similar size tanks.
Anyway, if you can't get your hands on any substrate or filter media from an established tank, you'll want to keep up with partial water changes daily (pwc's) for the first few weeks while the bacteria develop. Which brings me to a question of do you have any sort of water testing kits? If you don't you should probably pick some up specifically ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. I own the API test kit which includes all of these. It cost me about 20.
I'd also ask if your tank is filtered or have a heater? It would be better to at least have a heater to make sure the temperature stays stable. Without a filter you'll have to be on top of water changes also to prevent buildup of bad bacteria.
There are alot of people here who can give you some really good advice, and know a lot more about betta's than me. I'm sure they'll chime in.

+1 Read the cycling links in my signature. If you already have the betta and are keeping him in a little bowl or cup with no filter or heater, putting him in the larger tank will be better, but you'll have to keep an eye on the water parameters.

Ill keep up on the changes. It's got a little filter and air blower.

I just don't think cycling such a small tank is necessary.

I would think twice about getting such a small tank. A 5g is much more suitable IMO. But as to the cycling statement, cycling is necessary on any tank.

I have to agree about the cycling.

We have a beta that's about 1 year old in a 1g petco plastic job and he's doing great. First one lived for 4+ years before it passed. Well beyond the 2 - 2 1/2 years they said it would.

For both fish it was set up and prepped, not cycled like a bigger tank and went straight in. We feed him 2X a week and like his name sake, Elvis rocks the house :D.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I just don't think cycling such a small tank is necessary.

Can you elaborate as to why? The process is still there, 1 gallon or 100. Any fish going through the cycling process will suffer.

It just doesn't seem necessary because he's doing so well and his colors have become so vibrant. I don't think he's suffering. As to his tank size... I would love a huge tank. But space doesn't permit. I will say it is much better than the inhumane 1/2 gallon.

If you don't want to cycle or add a filter to the small tank, at least you need to commit to do constant water changes for the well being of your betta.
Today looks great, but I can assure you that the water in small tanks can deteriorate faster than a big tank, this means that the betta can suffer really soon.

This is my opinion.

He's been in there a week with a ghost shrimp and he is doing better and better.. I do a percentage water change a day.

your betta will be happy in 2 gallons, 2xs a week take a half gallon out and replace. its hard not to change all or too much water at once when doing regular water changes. make sure you do this regularly, water will smell terrible fast in those bowls. betta food is pricey, i feed mine small sinking meaty(cichlid) pellets one at a time at least 3 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom