New tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zkrush2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I just set up my new 75 gallon freshwater tank yesterday and I'm extremely excited. I am not exactly sure how to cycle, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image-160165577.jpg
    image-160165577.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1269025820.jpg
    image-1269025820.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 103
  • image-4047752142.jpg
    image-4047752142.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 95
Thanks, I put about 2-3 gal of water from an and a few rocks into an established tank, do you think this is also another way to cycle?

Adding old water from an established tank won't do anything. The amount of beneficial bacteria is minuscule. Adding decor, plants and filter media from an established tank will help the cycle along. Used filter media is the most effective. You need an ammonia source to start, continue and maintain the cycle. This can be from fish (fish in cycle) or bottled ammonia (fishless cycle). The guide I linked has information on both so you can make up your mind how you wish to cycle.

So would using the filter from the other tank in the new tank overnight spread more bacteria? Would it be a good idea, or would you not recommend it?

Zkrush2 said:
So would using the filter from the other tank in the new tank overnight spread more bacteria? Would it be a good idea, or would you not recommend it?

It would do very little. A couple of options are taking the new filter and running it in the old tank to seed with bacteria or taking a good chunk of media from the old filter and adding it to the new one. After that's done you'll need to add an ammonia source to keep them alive.

Back
Top Bottom