New tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snarles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got my first tank. Its 15 gallons and I think I have everything I need. Its been sitting there filtering for a week because a guy told me I needed to wait that long before I got fish. So is there anything else I should do before adding fish?

there is an important thing you need to do before you go any further....cycle the tank. Take a peek at this link regarding the nitrogen cycle...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

It is important to have balanced water parameters for the fish. If you don't already have water test kits I would reccomend purchasing some. You will need PH, Nitrates, Nitrites, ammonia. I know these ones for sure, but there are others.

Also, ask LOTS of questions on this site. There are alot of users with vast knowledge in the hobby.

Congrats on the new tank...good luck and welcome to AA :)

Edit: changed link for Cycle article...oops. Thanks Deli_conker for posting:)

[center:9e64aa3c32] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, snarles!! :n00b: [/center:9e64aa3c32]
Definately read about cycling using fish and fishless in the articles section.
What types/how many fish are you planning on keeping?

Thanks

My tankl has been cycling for a couplse of weeks now. Is that going to be enough time for everything? That article was very helpful. Both times. Lol.

You need to test for ammonia and nitrites as well as nitrates to see if the tank is cycled and ready for fish :wink:

Back
Top Bottom