New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crittercrazy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have a 75 gallon frshwater setup, have had this for many years now. I was just given a 50 gallon tank from a friend, and was thinking of taking the occupants from the 75 gallon, and moving them to the 50 gallon(not many fish) and making the 75 gallon into a Cichlid tank.

I have never had a cichlid tank, but would like to have African cichlids. What are the best ones for Newbies, and what kinds of things do I need for a cichlid tank?? I already have a large power filter, plants, and driftwood.
Do I need special gravel??
are fake plants okay?? I have never had live plants, not sure how well I would do with those.
could I have more than one variety? If so, what kinds would do best together?
Also i have a large Pleco, roughly 12 inches long, and would like to keep him in the 75gal, would he be okay with Cichlids??
Sorry for all the questions, i just dont want to mess up!!

Fake plants are fine. What are you looking for in cichlids, peaceful or more aggressive? Malawi mbuna for example are more aggressive, aulonocara are more peaceful. Live plants and cichlids are a challenge to be sure, it can be done but cichlids do like to dig. I use pool filter sand in my cichlid tank. It is natural looking and the cichlids dig around in it all the time. Your pleco will be fine with your cichlids.

Make sure your filtration is good as cichlids are very messy creatures. I would recommend doing a fishless cycle before adding any fish. Rocks are what cichlids like and lots of them for hiding places. Also consider getting some egg crate for the bottom of the tank before adding sand and rocks. It helps to prevent rocks creating pressure points on the glass.

Thanks for the info. I am looking for more peacefull Cichlids. I would like to be able to keep a few Varieties together. The egg crate Idea is pretty neat, would have never thought of that! I definitely want a natural looking tank. I like the sounds of the sand! I realy appreciate the help!! Any more info would be greatly appreciated!! :D

You should check out Tanganyikan cichlids....they are still Africans, but not the overly aggressive kind you see in the assorted tanks. :D

You could have a nice school of Cyprichromis. The males are very pretty and colorful, but females are not. If you go back to "Tanganyikan Cyprichromis" on the site I linked to, you can look at the first 5 C. leptosomas. Any of those would work. The others are Jumbo and get a tad larger....a 6ft tank is really best for them.

Along with the Cyps you could have a pair or 2 of Julidochromis if you put some rock in the tank.

And for the bottom, some shell dwelling cichlids: http://www.cichlidforum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=14. Lamprologus multifasciatus would make a nice colony shellie to have.

Tangs may not be as colorful as Malawians, but they make up for it in behavior (or so I've been told).

I haven't personally kept Tanganyikans before (getting some L. multifasciatus soon), but I have plans to setup a Tang tank in the future. I have had Mbuna and they tried to kill each other and that really discouraged me, so I sold them off. I researched a ton before setting the tank up and still ended up having them kill each other. :( So, I urge you to consider Tangayikans if you want an all cichlid tank, Africans, and less aggressive fish.

Awsome info!! Thanks!! I tell you I have never been so nervous before, when considering setting up a new tank!! Gosh!! I usually just jump right into it! I have had tanks for many years now, but this whole Cichlid thing is just so new to me! I appreciate all the help!! I have had the plans in mind for a few months, now I just have to get everything together, and go for it! :D

Hey Maggie, small world. My G/F & I are in the 'plan & design' stage of a 75 too. We are going to do a Tanganyikan community tank. The plan, (this week, anyway), is a school of Cyprichromis leptosoma, non jumbo, a pair of Julidichromis regani, and a pair of black Calvus. Not the most imaginative or unique, but every tank does not have to be challenging. lol

The site JustOneMore20 referenced is a good source for chiclid info. Much of our species research has been there. Plus simply googling a species and see what pops up.

I agree Tangs might not be quite as colorful, (or perhaps gaudy :lol: ) as Malawis, but they are much more diverse in shape and behavior. We have 6 juvie Julies, and they are a hoot to watch. They little guys keep their belly oriented to whatever structure they are swimming near. I have seen all six peering out of one cave at me, some holding sideways, some upside down. Totally oblivious to gravity. 8O

Good luck, and keep us posted as to the progress!!

Hey thanks JeffreyL!! I am still trying to figure things out, and am taking my time. I think I will be waiting on officially setting up the tank till after Christmas, since I need to repaint the room the tank will be going in. But I am so excited! I realy like the sounds of the Julies! they sound like something I want in my tank!! :D

IMO, I would look at the lake malawi Peacocks. The males are soo colorful. They are relatively peaceful as compared to other cichlids. I currently have about 8 Aulonocara sp. Stuartgranti, and just adore them. 2 Males and 6 Females.

Of course I am somewhat one minded on this since those are the ones that I own. :D

That site that has been linked to, has GREAT info on setting up different tanks.

Just like the Cyprichromis that Kristin mentioned, only the males get to be very colorful for the majority of the peacock species.

I have seen tanks with only males in them and according to the owner, they all got along. BTW, it was a very beautiful display of Cichlids.

Take a look at this tank:

http://www.cichlidforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/273

WOW!!! That is an awsome looking tank!!! I just love it!! Amazing!!

I love how the tank itself is set up, That is how I hope mine will look!

Back
Top Bottom