New to AA and have question about my Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluepill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys

I am brand new to AA and I am also a newbie to reef tanks.

I have a Biocube in 8 gallon and I have a Humbug Damsel and a anemone in the tank now.

The tank has been set up in December last year and I let it cycled for one month with only the live rock and I got the Damsel in after that. So, the tank has been set up for about 3 months. Just purchased the anemone about 5 days ago. It looks pretty healthy and I have the following questions.

I have heard that water is needs to be perfect before considering about purchasing an anemone. I use R/O water that I purchase from the supermarket (those huge water bottle). Water test results looks fine. however, ammonia has increased from zero to a bit higher. I will change water tomorrow and do the test again.

1. I don't even know what kind of anemone I got. I think it is BTA and it has pale pink skin color teticles with pale purple tips. I will post pictures later.

2. The anemone doesn't take any food? I tried to feed the brine shrimp to its teticles and it seems to not take any of it into its mouth. I have searched online and the opinions differs. Some said have enough lighting and the anemone will absorb nutrition from the light as well as the residuals of the feeding to other fish. Others said that anemone needs meaty fish like silversides. I am wondering if mine doesn't even take brine shrimp, how would it take silversides?

3. The lighting. I am using my stock set up with the 8 gallon biocube. Is this sufficient? How many hours should I leave the light on everyday?

4. The current---water pump. Is the stock one enough? do i need to add an extra power head? is it necessary?

5. My future plan is to replace the Damsel and get 1 or 2 nemos and maybe 1 or 2 more corals. What do you guys think? way too much for my 8 gallon??? what is your suggestion?

THANKS!!

The first pic is when the light is on.
second when I just turned off the light
third is about 5 min after the light is off. It deflated a bit and turn back to normal similar to second pic soon.

Attachments

• DSC00677.jpg
    DSC00677.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00678.jpg
    DSC00678.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00679.jpg
    DSC00679.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 50
I`m not familar with that tank or it`s lighting. We need to find out what type lighting it has.

Light on for 8-10hrs a day IMO.

You got ammonia? Not good at all. Someting died, rotten leftover food, test kit bad, didn't cyle completely or something. I got a bad feeling your tank is too young and not settled yet and things might get worse.

Not to be the naysayer, not having anenome experience, but that ammonia presence is troubling. An 8g tank is hard enuf for a new sw fishkeeper, and an anenome within 3 months, I'd suggest you see if you can return it and get something before it becomes jelly and everything is lost. Then take your time, add your fish and practice and learn how to keep that water stable.

You'll enjoy the experience a whole lot better. And cheaper. :)

Last edited:
The higher ammonia is the reason that it is suggested that you wait till your tank is at least a yr old before adding an anenome. They really need a mature tank. New tank water parameters are always bouncing around.

Thanks for the advice! Some people said that a tank needs to be at least 6 months before putting an anemone in. ahahah now someone said 1 year. However, what is done is done, and I guess I won't look back and think about what about I shouldn't have done. I need to know what I need to be doing in the future to keep things right. The ammonia is just one level higher than zero. I assume water change will reduce that problem?

wait...........did austinsdad suggest that I should return the anemone??? Is it that HARD to keep?

I heard someone talking about the anemone shoots toxic material before it dies, which can cause the whole tank to die?

I agree with the rest. A pic to help ID it would help.
How many watts does your light put out?
I say 6 months to a year is a safe gauge. I would look more at a year in a smaller tank unless you keep your water pristine.
I would check your RO water for ammonia.
It is true, a nem can nuke a tank if it dies....

the lighting is:
18W 10K Daylight (9")
18W Actinic 03 Blue (9")

Here is some of the pictures of it today.

I found out ammonia exists in the pre-mixed R/O water with salt. I don't know why but I put in Calcium and KH addictives in there about 5 days ago and the water has been sitting there for about 1 week.

I have dumped that water and use new R/O water with salt premix. The R/O water is of course with no ammonia and I am going to change water now.

In the first picture when the light is off, you can see there is that slimy texture beside the carpet.......wut is that???

Do you know what the correct name is for it? it's got purple dots on the tips.....plz see the close up picture....

Attachments

• n515719680_1539268_786587.jpg
    n515719680_1539268_786587.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 76
  • n515719680_1539269_7385866.jpg
    n515719680_1539269_7385866.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 61
  • n515719680_1539274_2434098.jpg
    n515719680_1539274_2434098.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 60
  • n515719680_1539270_7590327.jpg
    n515719680_1539270_7590327.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 96
a dying anemone can kill your whole fish tank???
has anybody experienced this??? now im scared to get one

if it really will kill the whole tank, when should i remove it before it destroy everything? all rite, plz don't tell me to take it back for a return now......lol

I don't have any experience with anemones so here is some information for you and you can decide for yourself.
I believe the anemone that you have is called a Condylactis Anemone and more information here:
Condylactis Anemones
CondyAnemones

I hope this helps...After reading some of that post I think one of your biggest problems would be the size that it grows to.

Back
Top Bottom