new to Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've recently decided that I really want an angel or two once I move to Denver. I've posted about this before but I wanted to ask specifically about their requirements, temperament and stuff. I have 7 mollies and 4 cories (and a temporary pleco) which will all populate a 30 gallon standard once I get my big tank for the goldfish that are temporarily living in the 30 gallon. I want to make it into a nice densely planted tank and then I need a centerpiece fish. I think an angel would be awesome. Since I assume it will kind of boss the mollies around I think I'll call it Hatsumomo (if you understand that ur cool :p). Anyway I'd like some input from people who own angels. Specifically I wonder if one or two would be best, but give me any info you think I'd find useful. Thanks!

is it a 30 long? If so I think a single angel (or a true pair, otherwise they may fight) would be fine. The mollies are big enough that they wont become dinner either. They are south american fish and would theirfore need the 78-82 temp. Their temperment is a toss (IME) some can be supper agressive while others are rather docile (though you must remember they ARE cichlids so theirfore can be rather nasty)... The pair I had were very docile and did not often bother anyone. They did take out my neons after a while but otherwise they were very calm, even when breeding. just dont put any fish smaller than them in the tank because as I said, they could very likely become a yummy and expensive lunch. The planted tank will work wonders for them as well. For any more info you can look here http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830+879

I'd say stick with one in a tank that size. A mated pair might work, but angel fish tend to bring domestic abuse to an art form. In a tank that size, a mating dispute could get kinda brutal so a single angel would be better.

Angels are always happy with lots of plants so the more the merrier there. The rest of your fish should be fine, the general rule of thumb is if it fits in an angels mouth, it will end up in an angel stomach. Larger than that they only chase them for sport on occasion.

I've got a breeding pair of angels in my 29gal. It is also densely planted. Mine almost never bother the other fish, and I even have neons in there.

I started with a pair and lost one, but I find them to be very unpredictable, also mine tends to eat just about any type of food, even the sinking stuff meant for my yoyo loaches.

Thanks for the help guys. I had no idea Angels were cichlids! That's really cool. I guess I don't know what exactly a cichlid is (I thought they all looked relatively the same). Anyway, my tank is a 30 standard so its ~2 feet deep and a little over 2 feet long.
Questions: Will an angel attack/can it hurt my cories? What kind of angel would be best? I've heard of ones that get 12 inches long...I don't want one of those lol. I assume I don't need to attempt to get a specific sex. Should I buy it as a baby?

p.s. Just curious, how can they eat neons? It seems like angel's mouths are too small.

Angels getting a foot long??? No, maybe 8 inches TALL but that's an OLD fish.

Buy whatever size fish you want. You could easily get away with a pair of them in a 30. I had 5 in my 55 gallon with no issues at all and right now I have 15 quarter-fifyty cent size angels in my 10 gallon grow out tank. They are getting pretty big and need large water changes each day...even multiple water changes per day but that's what happens when you feed them bloodworms and high quality food 5 or more times per day! I've only had them 2 weeks and they are HUGE. I recommend checking www.gcca.net in the classifieds section. I got mine from a guy on there. He just had the ones I purchased from him for $1 each and they are top notch silver/black angels. I had them shipped USPS Priority and they lasted FIVE days in the box due to being sent to my old address...long story LOL. Anyway, shipping was only $10 so you could get some really nice angels for a decent price if you had room to grow them out and sell what you don't want.

Altums will be the only ones capable of obtaining those heights. Scalares will max out at substantially shorter body heights, especially the standard finned ones. Angels that are homozygous for veils might get 8 inches tall.

Back
Top Bottom