New to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check the feeder tanks. If I get my fish in a new tank and breeding before you get your tank up I can send you some:) Plus another place to look is on www.aquabid.com

thats awesome... at the current rate it may be a year before i get my tank running... hahahahah will def check the site

thats awesome... at the current rate it may be a year before i get my tank running... hahahahah will def check the site
Well I'll have them before then;) lol! I don't think that it'll take you a year though! A month or two tops!

god lets hope so.... i think my 40G will be ready before my sons 5G... but maybe not he really seemed to be upset today when i explained to him what he did and how it would of effected the fish if we had them... he doesnt like anything to die.... he collects bugs so he can keep them safe... :)

Awww that's sweet. Your son can decorate and care about life. He sounds amazing! Hope that he'll love the fish, my sister does!!

i think he'll love the fish.... when I had my little issue with way too many gold fish he loved them.... just trying to teach him how it all works ... and im stilll learning! lololol he is a awesome little man for sure!!!! very cool your sis is lovin the little fishies..... :)

wel it just seems i am having a touch of bad luck! i get home today and the 5G tank kit i got from walmart quit on me.... Filter just stopped working..... took it all apart and cleaned it out.. plugged it back in and NOTHING!!!!!! so what did I do?????? Off the Petco I went.... after hearing all the feedback that a 5G is just too small anyway I bought a 10G Kit. Got new tank and filter along with more decorations.... unfortunately the "cycle" starts again... but hey at least i have a better looking tank now... Lets pray things continue moving forward with no more set backs! :) what a interesting chain of events in 10 days... lol

i did reuse the rocks and filter from previous tank... in hopes to bring over any bacteria that had grown... hopefully this was the right decision..

joschac2 said:
i did reuse the rocks and filter from previous tank... in hopes to bring over any bacteria that had grown... hopefully this was the right decision..

Absolutely the right call. What filter did you get this time. I had a Walmart Aquatech and died on me.
Haven't had any issues with the AquaClears.

Reusing the gravel and filter media was a great idea your cycle shouldn't be set back much at all. Just keep dosing as you have been to keep your ammonia up.

thats great news about the cycle... cuz its been a crazy road so far...... ive only been involved in this for 10 days.... def put in more ammonia and have it at 4ppm.

The new kit is made by Aqueon. and yes the aqua tech is what i had... 10 days and it quit..

Wow, you have had quite the cycling journey so far! It is really great that you are trying to do things right though and you are teaching your son about good animal husbandry. Good for you!

thanks absol....... it def has been a journey and yes my son has been a part of this from the start.. he is learning a great life lesson i believe.. I have had lots of great info from many people on this site!!! with the info i have recieved there is no excuse to do it wrong... :)

well i bought a 2G bowl and a male betta today.... my son is getting impatient... and maybe so am I... lol my question is once my new 10G is finished cycling i would like to migrate my betta so is there any fish that can co-habitate with a male teiltail betta? I read that neon tetras get along provided they are in a scool of at least 6.. I also read( and have been told buy others) that snails and/or shirmp could work... if that is true is there a specific type of snail or shirmp?

Any snail, IMO/E would work with a betta, as for shrimp I'd try some larger kinds like amano shrimp, some people have had a good experience with ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp, but it all depends on the betta's temper, I've always had mean bettas... Another good fish I think may be the harlequin rasboras, or maybe endlers ;)

Oh and another fish that might work are DWARF corydoras. But once again IME my betta never have liked cories or any other fish, so hopefully yours will:) (y)

thanks for the info... I did see ghost shirmp today and they were cool.... hopefully my betta is mild tempered for sure.... im still liking the endlers!!!!!!!! but will they survive with a betta? they are smaller fish so im concerned... but i will say i will have endlers in my 40G community tank.. it may be a bit .. but still.

I think that they'd be fine. They're like neons, but you're right about having too many. I'd go with the neons or the rasboras if it were me. There are also some other nano fish that'd be good like galaxy rasboras (celestial pearl danios) and some other ones. They'd be good with a betta. The dwarf corydoras would be good too;) Sorry I like endlers and cories a little to much :hide:

We had some luck with a pair of swordtails and corys in with a female beta. We currently have a male beta in with one albino Cory.

Back
Top Bottom