New to cichlids,two weeks old and sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hrcross

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a twenty gallon tank with three cichlids the blue one with strips stopped eating yesterday and now he is hiding and loosing scales. I also noticed white film stuff on my fake log. I have never had this problem before. I have already changed the filter and six gallons of the water between two days

Did you cycle the tank before you got the cichlids? I had a similar situation with my first cichlids id recommend doing 50% waterchanges every day just make sure and dechlorinate and temperature match the new water... if you can post pics theres alot of smart hobbyists on this site pics will help them help you

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I witnessed a shop owner repairing decor with super glue, I wonder if that could be a possibility, also as the above suggested water changes and take the decor out and soak it in hot water for a couple hours.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's missing how does a fish go missing in 5 hours idk I assume he died and the other two are him :(but yes the tank is cycled I had guppies in it for two months before these cyclids and the logs and seashells where in the previous tank......and I don't know how to upload pics

I doubt two fish entirely ate one that quickly. Assuming the tank is cycled (though I suspect it is spiking) aggression is my first suspicion. Do you know the species you have? Could you find them on Google and copy the search here? 20 gallons isnt really life long suitable for much of any cichlids. Did you notice any bullying prior to death?

The picture of the stripped one with blue is older and the other fish is updated

Attachments

• IMG_20150907_225924446.jpg
    IMG_20150907_225924446.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20150907_225916864.jpg
    IMG_20150907_225916864.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20150827_140500749.jpg
    IMG_20150827_140500749.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 84
Nitrate is 40 nitrite 0 hardness 150 alkalinity 120 ph 8.4

OK so they are Africans, specifically Malawi mbuna, I take it the kenyi is missing. The yellow one looks a little orange but that black stripe is telling me electric yellow lab, not a real good pic on the other guy but probably a zebra, looks albino?

Any ammonia or nitrites present? Are they aggressive towards each other? I experienced with aggressive mbuna a group of 5 slowly turn into a group of two thanks to harassment.

I agree, knowing your ammonia levels at this point are very important. What are you testing with?

In general if you don't know what kind of fish you have you aren't nearly qualified to keep them. I hate to be so abrasive but you should research fish extensively before you buy them; you should know all about them by now. I'm going to assume that they were recommended to you buy a chain pet store employee?

The white stuff is a natural fungus so don't worry about it; it will go away.

The fish that is gone may have jumped out or hid under decor. Also check in the filter if there is an opening in the intake that is reasonably large. They can squeeze into small openings.

Can you describe more of what is wrong with the fish? You say his scales are falling off? Are they just getting pushed outwards or are they actually falling completely off?

When mbuna fight they can literally knock scales off, along with tattered fins it can be a gruesome sight. 20 gallons simply doesn't afford the real estate for these territorial fish to avoid aggression. As well, imo these guys do best in groups numbering 8 or better(to spread aggression) and a 20 just doesn't allow for that. If its possible to upgrade a 40 breeder has great floor space and would allow proper numbers of these guys.

The blue one swam in the log it died I found it this evening but the blue one was the aggressive one the scales coming off looked like slime with scales coming off I guess chunks.....I know the twenty gallon Is small for the three but I cannot get a larger tank until I move out of the apartment in June I was told odd numbers are best but they can't b just one

I would say having more than 3 takes precedence over being in odd numbers. IMO 4 is better than 3, 5 is better than 4, 6 is better than 5. I would keep the max amount that I could keep up water changes on if your committed to this stocking. Its honestly not ideal though, these guys will always fight in a 20 gallon(long or high? by the way as that makes a difference).

Any signs of ich or columnaris present? Without any mention of cottony fungus I doubt it but just want to cover all bases! Any bloating or swim bladder issues?

I bought the test sticks from Walmart. The fish was staying at the bottom of the tank would, not eat for two days his gills seemed moving fast and he hid in the log would not let any other fish near it.

The water Is tap I put six full gallon jugs of water on the counter with no tops they stay there for two days thenpump out four gallons including a small section of gravel cleaning then refill the water

Ok that says more, labored breathing hints at nitrite issues, it literally can suffocate the fish. Test strips are highly inefficient, whenever possible acquire an api liquid test kit for proper testing.

The tank is 21 inches long Im not sure the rest.... On both remaining fish is a single spot on their back fin that does not seem to belong

A 20 high is shorter than 21" I thought? Mine is.

I agree, get an API Freshwater Master test kit ASAP.

The back fin on the bottom

Attachments

• IMG_20150907_230001603.jpg
    IMG_20150907_230001603.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom