new to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Red44 said:
Thanks I've been trying to find pool filter sand but can't find it were should I look hardware stores? And I'll also look in to the black blasting sand.

I got mine at Menards

CaliO said:
My holding tank has play sand here a pic. Less than 2" sand bed

That sand that's preety good for play sand is it ever cloudy?

That sand that's preety good for play sand is it ever cloudy?

ONLY the first time you get it wet.

You have to put the dry sand in the tank then put something like a plate on the sand and fill your tank with the water hitting the plate so it doesn't stir up the sand that much. Then wait 24hrs, net the floating sand [not much] and drain the tank.. Then fill it again and you should be good to go... [thats what I do]

Don't run filters till sand settles.

But once it's wet I transfer it to different tanks all the time.. [takes a few hours to settle and done]

I've never tried to "net" floating sand. Fill your tank but use a plate like mentioned previously, then just wait a few hours for the pieces toe settle. Turn filters on and do a water change a few days later, if you washed the sand good enough you wont need a water change. I just put play sand in a grow out tank, filled it and turned the filter on an hour later. Crystal clear within 2 hours.

CaliO said:
ONLY the first time you get it wet.

You have to put the dry sand in the tank then put something like a plate on the sand and fill your tank with the water hitting the plate so it doesn't stir up the sand that much. Then wait 24hrs, net the floating sand [not much] and drain the tank.. Then fill it again and you should be good to go... [thats what I do]

Don't run filters till sand settles.

But once it's wet I transfer it to different tanks all the time.. [takes a few hours to settle and done]

Alright thanks would my fish be alright in a 15 gallon for a few hours or so while I'm setting up?

Malawi Freak said:
I've never tried to "net" floating sand. Fill your tank but use a plate like mentioned previously, then just wait a few hours for the pieces toe settle. Turn filters on and do a water change a few days later, if you washed the sand good enough you wont need a water change. I just put play sand in a grow out tank, filled it and turned the filter on an hour later. Crystal clear within 2 hours.

This way sounds quicker did you add anything to the water chem? And do you get a ammonia spike when adding sand

Back
Top Bottom