New to fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seley86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to having an aquarium.I have a 20 gallon tank. I had 4 Dalmatian Mollies 3 black mollies and 3 red wag Platies. After about 3 weeks of no problems I had one of the black mollies die and then noticed white spots on my other black mollies. I treated for ich and the white spots disappeared from one then treated again and seem to clear it up off the other one. While all this was going on I had 3 of my Dalmatian fish die and now one of the black mollies died. Now the remaining fish have this on them. The Platies were looking fine up until this morning. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424956931.944771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is just one of those things that happens in the hobby. However there is always a reason. It might be poor water quality or a number of other things. Listing the parameters of your tank when posting about sick fish can help others address the problem.

Gh is 120
Kh is 40
Ph is 6.5
No2 .5
No3 is 20

Water temp is 78

All my fish have died ??

It looks to be fin rot (fraying on edges) from the pic. The ammonia is an issue. How long has the tank been running and what's your WC schedule ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Changing every week 25% and vacuuming weekly.

Gh is 120
Ph is 6.5
No2 .5
No3 is 20

Sorry about that. From your parameters it sounds like you were not cycled or perhaps had a mini cycle.

Are you planning on restocking? If so clean out your tank with something like hydrogen peroxide (no general purpose cleaners - you can use bleach but if so you should let it air dry in the sun before using it again.). You should also read up on fish-less cycling if you haven't already.

It looks to be fin rot (fraying on edges) from the pic. The ammonia is an issue. How long has the tank been running and what's your WC schedule ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

They had .5 nitrite listed on the params. Do you not have an ammonia test kit? You'll need one of those if you plan on restocking.

I have a kit I tested on Saturday level was 1. I have tested again it's at 6.0. Why would it have changed so drastically?

I have on surviving fish, I have another tank that seems to be doing fine. Should I transplant him? I am concerned with doing that as I thought I had ick. I don't want to expose my other tank.

I have a kit I tested on Saturday level was 1. I have tested again it's at 6.0. Why would it have changed so drastically?

Because dead fish means ammonia. Clearly the tank is not cycled.

You need to be doing major water changes to get that number back down.

Back
Top Bottom