new to live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatopia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to start my first try at a tank with live plants beyond moss balls and duckweed. Its a 6ga Fluval Edge; any recommendations on species?

Aquatopia said:
I'm going to start my first try at a tank with live plants beyond moss balls and duckweed. Its a 6ga Fluval Edge; any recommendations on species?

What light system

This tank is one of the older versions with the two halogens...but I'm looking to retrofit it with the LED system that the new Edge tanks are shipping with.

lights

let me know what you find for lights. I have the halogen lights too.

I am doing a shrimp tank with mine. I have two Chili Rasboras (soon to be 6) and an Orange Shrimp soon to be 5. A couple little baby guppies are in there until I pick up more Chilis.

Added some orange red Rams Horns a blue Rams Horn and a Burgundy striped Mystery snail. Got my cool snails today!

1 big bunch of Java moss, two small Aponogetons and a few other plants I haven't decided yet. Just got a plant pack today as a matter of fact. Have to figure out what can go where.

Autumnsky said:

I am doing a shrimp tank with mine. I have two Chili Rasboras (soon to be 6) and an Orange Shrimp soon to be 5. A couple little baby guppies are in there until I pick up more Chilis.

Added some orange red Rams Horns a blue Rams Horn and a Burgundy striped Mystery snail. Got my cool snails today!

1 big bunch of Java moss, two small Aponogetons and a few other plants I haven't decided yet. Just got a plant pack today as a matter of fact. Have to figure out what can go where.

Not sure if you have your own thread, but I want some pictures of all of these fish and snails!!!! Hahah.

Posting one in a few days, also a new ShrimpQuest part 2 in a few days. Probably by Tuesday, at least 6-8 types of new plants for my tanks!!!

My two shrimp tanks are the little 6ga Fluval Edge tanks so I go with Pigmy Cory and Endlers to keep the bioload down and no mouths big enough to eat the younger shrimp.

I do have a new Edge tank with the LEDs but it has a Nerita Zebra Snail, couple of Betas (who will eat shrimp), 3 Pigmy Cory, 3 Gold Tetras, 3 Cardinal Tetras, 2 White Clouds, 3 Bumble Bee Gobies and a Peacock Grudeon. I know that's a lot of fish for such a small tank but diligent water changes work.

I was hoping Hagen sold the light fixture as a conversion kit but they only sell a retrofitted LED bulb (Aquatic - Products)

Aquatopia said:
My two shrimp tanks are the little 6ga Fluval Edge tanks so I go with Pigmy Cory and Endlers to keep the bioload down and no mouths big enough to eat the younger shrimp.

I do have a new Edge tank with the LEDs but it has a Nerita Zebra Snail, couple of Betas (who will eat shrimp), 3 Pigmy Cory, 3 Gold Tetras, 3 Cardinal Tetras, 2 White Clouds, 3 Bumble Bee Gobies and a Peacock Grudeon. I know that's a lot of fish for such a small tank but diligent water changes work.

I was hoping Hagen sold the light fixture as a conversion kit but they only sell a retrofitted LED bulb (Aquatic - Products)

I will say.. Guppies have a large bio load, and most people would say pygmys aren't supposed to be in anything smaller than a 10g :/ lol

I will say.. Guppies have a large bio load, and most people would say pygmys aren't supposed to be in anything smaller than a 10g :/ lol

I'd like to find an alternative to the Pigmys as my clean-up crew since they grow to be not all that pigmy and need to be in a group - I have 4 in my Endler tank now and the female is pretty big (relative to an Endler). Perhaps a Kili Loach or two?

Talking cleanup crew... the snails I just got from Jetajockey are cleaning the daylights out of the tanks, around the bottoms of all the plant stems the corners, the leaf surfaces, the heater cord, glass, rocks, everything.

:popcorn:I think they have become larger in just two days!!! Their mouths are constantly moving.

You can't go wrong with snails. Autumn is right. You don't want loaches for clean up, and I think no loach would fit in a 6g. 10g is the smallest for those corys

Cories and snails

I just took out my Cory last week so she could have a better life with her buddy and a couple Bronchis Emerald "Cories" in a bigger 37gal tank. After watching her, a 3" adult, it was evident she was too big for the tank. She just couldn't swim a long expanse like I have seen them do. I miss seeing her up close and hiding behind the Micro Sword in the Edge :( but :cool: they will have more room now!

The snails are funny to watch though too.

Back
Top Bottom