new to salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe the more live rock, the faster the tank will cycle, but having more runs a higher risk of having hitch hikers. Personally, I would do 15 lb base and 10 live just to get the cycling to run a little faster

Live rock isn't readily available here. The local petco sells it current for about 10 dollars a lb. Is there anywhere good to hey it online?

Reefcleaners.org maybe?

Believe it or not I've actually heard that petco online isn't too shabby when it comes to livestock, etc. Might be worth looking into

I checked reefcleaners and not bad. I'm also thinking of going with petco u can buy it at the store already cultured plus no shipping

Also the false percs at the lfs are hosting in a long spines urchin in their tank. Should I get the urchin to go with the pair? Would that relieve the stress of the move

Yeah, to keep one alive and thriving isn't that easy. Especially in a smaller tank and a new one at that

Ok well ill skip the urchin. So once my tank is established how often should i expect to do water changes and how much?

20-25% is what ive seen recommended most, unless something gets seriously messed up with your parameters. Your tank may be able to go longer than two weeks on changes you just have to make sure your nitrates arent going too high

Alright. Sounds good. Could I keep a royal gramma basllet with that set up (20 gallon long with firefish goby and 2 false perc clowns)

I think a protein skimmer allows you to change your water less. I'm thinking of getting a biocube protein skimmer (29g) and hanging it on my tank. Although I have a 36g, it should help somewhat towards keeping my tank clean + its cheaper then most protein skimmer

I don't know if the biocube's skimmer is good or not, but it's rated for 29g and its a lot cheaper compared to other skimmers which is important for a college student like me :) I'll be doing weekly water changes and the skimmer would just be a little back-up just incase I get busy

It's acually not very good. The water changes you do will be enough, you just need to get in a routine.

If you're looking for a skimmer that can give you a little wiggle-room for your PWCs, that's not something that will do it. You're gonna drop a bit more money for one that'll accomplish that

Back
Top Bottom