new to saltwater...hi how r ya

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
iv done freshwater,and now i am trying to run a saltwater tank... so for the freshwater i have a 55 gal sand bed with live plants and 14 baby r b piranhas.. my wife has a 30 gal with 3 cichlids, we also have a pond in the yard with 3 koi...
now we are attempting to run a 28gal saltwater tank..so far it has-live sand,live rock,5 hermit crabs,2 peppermint shrimp,1 turbo snail,and 1 lawnmower blenny... so thats what i got,i do alot of reading about saltwater but can never lear enough..thanks for your time and i look forward to asking and learning alot from you

Attachments

• DSC01867.jpg
    DSC01867.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01843.jpg
    DSC01843.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01829.jpg
    DSC01829.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 81
Welcome to AA. Looks like you will need more LR and one or two PH's to move water around.

welcometoaa.gif

Some more reading for you...

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank

Quarantine article

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2002/chemistry.htm
Tap Water in Reef Aquaria

Welcome to AA. Looks like you will need more LR and one or two PH's to move water around.
ok i got 4 more pounds of rock and dead coral.. but still lookinf for a nice small power head that will not cost 50 bucks.. i kinda like the fan looking head, what do you think... also is this rock setup look ok? oh and the filter is a fluval 305,.. its been over 2 weeks!! ammonia is high.. but still no trace of nitrites or nitrates. what the heck?

Attachments

• DSC01871.jpg
    DSC01871.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 77
Patience Please. Ammonia is good right now and a good time for you to do lots of reading on the animals you want to keep. It is better to think ahead of time and not get incompatible animals that will just die and waste your good money.
PS: yes your rock work is looking great. Try to get it up to ~1-2 #'s per gallon size of your tank. Remember that this will end up being your main filter if and when you go full reef.
I would suggest that you start off with a fish with liverock setup and learn the ropes then move on to a reef. Keep reef friendly fish so that you don't have a problem when you switch. So a couple of clowns, a gobie or two and your set.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom