New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickeybags

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
So I've been keeping freshwater fish for a while in my dorm room and would like to try a nano fowlr. My friends have been bugging me about doing one and my girlfriend really wants me to get a "memo fish". I've been doing lots of research and asking around. There's only one lfs in my area that has salt water fish. I think the guy is definitely knows his stuff and even showed me a build he did while he was in school. I think he might be trying to rip me off on things I don't need however. So I want to share my plans and get some advice.

Tank: fluval spec 5 gallon. Will the led lighting and filtration be adequate? I have some seeded bio media from a freshwater tank. Is it okay to use that? Also am I better off with a standard 5 gallon tank and hob filter?

Substrate: salt water aquarium sand.
Livestock: clown fish maybe? I have heard mixed opinions on this. Any kind of suitable shrimp starfish and crabs. Haven't done much research in that department.

Water: my lfs has premixed saltwater but it is a bit pricey. The guy told me I can only use RO water which he conveniently sells for 46 cents a gallon. Am I better off buying the pre mixed water as there's less room for era in the small tank. Can I use treated tap water instead.

Water changes: 1 gallon once a week or as needed depending on the water parameters. I plan on using the RO water to top as needed unless I can use treated tap water.

As I start the build in the next couple weeks I will post updates. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my 831C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Treated tap water doesn't get all of it, everyone says your going to need to buy an rodi unit. I personally know people who use distilled water as top off. And to mix there salt with too. And you can prolly make your own tank cheaper do plenty of research.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Clown fish are mostly for 10gallon plus :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom