New to site, new to fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikkih

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I initially posted for advice relating to fish-in-cycling and was really thankful for the responses received here so this seems a good place to stick around and learn from the articles and posts here, the best way to look after fish.

Long story short, I have acquired a tank and a fantail goldfish from a person who (for a number of reasons) hasn't been keeping on top of their care. I offered to take on the fish and the tank but both had to be transported about six hours across the country.

As a result, the goldfish (Flappy) is currently in a goldfish bowl with plant, cave and airstone getting 50% water changes every 8 hours. He seems to be thriving - currently swimming around and sifting gravel but I need to get him in the tank asap.

His original tank arrived late last night, and is filled and filtering tapwater treated with Easy-Life Filter Medium. We're using the original filter but it has been dryish for about 4 days so I don't know that the bacteria will have survivied. I have 3 plants in there and added liquid bacteria in the hope to repopulate the filter. I have gravel that I'm about to rinse and add and I'm waiting for the API Freshwater Master Kit to arrive so I can test the water, get it to the right levels and then move Flappy over. I will then need to do lots of testing and water changes until the cycle finishes. If his white spots don't clear up, he may need some kind of medication so I'll be keeping an eye on that.

I have never kept fish before. I realise now that I've taken on a much bigger challenge than I initially thought (given the fact that I couldn't set up the tank first) but I'm eager to learn and happy to be redirected as/when I make mistakes.

Hello, if water is treated I would put fish in tank now. Larger water volumes are easier to keep your tank parameters in check(sm bowl can go sideways quick).
Goldfish are cold water so no heater required in tank but make sure to acclimatize you don't want sudden temp swing's. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom