New to the board and to the hobby for the most part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zero333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone.

I am new here so, hello, and I am interested in setting up a sw tank. I have an old setup that i used for fw but was taken down when I moved a few years back. I have a 30 gal tank, hob filer, hood with just a reg florecent light, and a power head.
I really do not know much of anything about sw so what other parts would i need and how would you recomend someone get into sw. Should i start with LR or what. I know only what i have read off of sites like this so far so anything would be helpful.

thanks

Welcome! to both AA and the hobby! My recommendation would be to continue to read and then decide what it is that you will want to do with your tank. Questions to ask yourself would be whether or not you will ever want corals...the answer to that will affect the types of fish, inverts and equipment you will want to buy...Be honest (with yourself) on how much money you are willing to spend and then you can plan around the answers.

The best advice I can offer to start with is to read the articles on this site. Especially the ones on the Berlin method of filtration, fishless cycling, and curing live rock. Then, buy a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. This is an excellent book for beginners and "old salts" as well. One thing you'll need to decide before you start to set up the tank is what kind of tank you want. Fish only (FO), fish only with live rock (FOWLR), or a reef. I would read the book first and then decide on the type of tank. We are, as always, here to answer any questions you have. You may also find the search feature on this site useful...I doubt there is any aspect of SW aquariums that isn't covered to some degree in the archives. Welcome to AA.com!

Well, First welcome to AA :smilecolros: Second research everything you can and buy books and the whole nine. You can never know to much. As for equipment its really up to you. There is a ton of good info on this site!! Stick with this forum you will learn a ton. I have only been on here less than two months and i cant even believe what i have learned. O and ask a lot of quest. Everyone here is pretty intelligent!!! :usa

Thanks for all the replys.

I was thinking for the tank, due to size, i would like to do fo with lr. But i would like to have a few Anenomies and invertabrates also. I currently scuba dive and i would love to have a little chunk of the ocean in my home. (one reason i am interested in sw over fw).

Also i know the tank size is small, so it would be a bit harder to keep stable, but i really do not have the room right now for a 55+ and plus i all ready have the setup. I was going to go to my lfs and ask all these questions, but as I am not too up on all the details i didn't want to get taken for a ride just to find out i spent a load of cash on either stuff i don't need, or garbge.

Thanks

On just about every newbie post it is suggested to buy the conscientious marine aquarist. Why is that? I understand it is a good book and I'm not trying to start trouble I'm just curious. You can find all of that information online and for free! Myself I would feel a little intimidated if the first thing I buy is a 30 dollar book. I know it's only a matter of time before people start saying"30 bucks for a book is nothing" well it is something- maybe your first fish. I'm NOT saying research isn't good because it is imparitive and like I said online it's free.

The reason I recommend the book in question is that I know the info contained in it is correct. If you just research online, you can find 10 different answers to any question you might have which can be very confusing if you're new to the hobby. Another reason I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is that it starts you out with the basics and follows up with the more advanced info...it's all inclusive. Much of the info available on the web is more specialized in nature...if you are not familiar with the basics, you don't really know what to search for. Yet another reason is that this book serves you long after you have learned the basics and is a good ready reference to have around. Finally...I just like to read books and I'm sure that, since I like to read, all of you do too! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Welcome
new_smilie_colors1.gif
I suggest The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Palletta for an easy to follow step by step book into the world of marine aquariums. BTW his stuff on fish compatibility is mostly false. However his step by step guide is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom