new to the site, snail eggs, i think? help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raysonhalley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I think I have loads of snail eggs? in my tank I have 1 shubunkin, 1 sarasa, 3 danios, 5 platys and 2 minows. I know I shouldn't have bigger goldfish type fish in with the little uns but they have been there for years and are fine. the tank huge so not a problem either, I think 100L I cant remember so this is not my problem. I think I am having snail egg problems. I used to have 1 single apple snail for a long time, but since he died I was missing snails. I couldn't find any at my local pet stores for a long time. My friend brought me 2 which I think are ramshorn snails, which I have now googled and found are pest snails. I am pretty sure the eggs are from them as there are 2 but they don't look like the eggs online. they are tiny white dots, like a head of a pin, but longer. the front of my tank is seemless so they aren't there, but at the joins of the back of the tank and in any nooks and cranys of my pirate ship. I have taken 1 of the snails out but cant find the other one, but will look again in a minute. the eggs have been appearing more and more each day I also have 1 horned nerite snail and 1 tiger nerite snail (I think) which I got from pets at home (against my feelings about that shop, I shouldn't have gone there. Do you think it is the ramshorn snails as there is 2 of those, or could it be the others? any idea or how to get rid of them if they are? I didn't want to get rid of them without advice in case the long shot they are some sort of fish eggs? Thanks in advance

Hello ray...

Snails aren't the end of the natural world. They're actually part of what keeps a tank healthy and are great algae eaters. They remove dead plant and animal material, keeping the tank cleaner. They will get out of hand if you feed too much flaked food. The snails are likely Ramshorn and won't damage healthy plants.

You can keep them under control by not feeding too much and feeding a quality flaked food like something from Cobalt. I feed a little a couple of times a week, a bit more often if I have fry in the tank, which is pretty often, I keep livebearers.

Do a good job of changing the tank water. Tanks up to 30 gallons need a 50 percent change weekly. The larger tanks, 50 percent every two weeks.

B

Back
Top Bottom