New to this and screwed up already!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great and easy answer for me to understand. The rings hold more BB, right? Do you clean those the same way and the same frequency as the other media?

Coco1019 said:
Great and easy answer for me to understand. The rings hold more BB, right? Do you clean those the same way and the same frequency as the other media?

I don't touch then unless they are super gummed up. Like no water flow. At that point ill gently rinse them in to be discharge tank water from a change. No rough stuff! Then back in the. You shouldn't have to do this super often. If it a mag my average canister cleaning( mainly the floss pad) was 3to4 weeks give or take depending on the tank stock. I would inspect the ceramic then and maybe rinse twice a year and then only if clogged. That's the beauty of the bio filtration it take care of itself for the most part.

Hello I saw your post looking for top 2 canister filters and opted to chime in, as stated already most canisters are pretty much the same slightly different design but same concept. That being said I've used Fluval 305 with great results until I sold it along with the tank after well over 10 years of use have a close friend that has an Ehiem canister for well over 15 years again no issue still running to this day. I recently got back into keeping fish and was doing tons of research on pretty much everything since I've been gone for a number of years and stumbled upon the SunSun 303B read a bunch of reviews watched a bunch on you tube and after all that I ordered one for my self the interior is massive so lots of space for bio media as well as mechanical and chemical if you need it. Standard 3 tray layout I've had it up and running and it's quite as can be, and the best part is the price it can be found on amazon for under 90$ Mine came with a UV light the SunSun 303 retails for as low as 60$ on amazon just doesn't have UV light.

Personally I run my canisters with mainly bio media with some mechanical filtration the only chemical filtration I use is Chemi-pure since it helps stabilize Ph in the tank and pulls out several harmful elements out of the water best part only have to replace it every 6 months. Had a long time Fish keeper turn me on to it several years ago he swore ny the stuff and I have to admit after having it in my filter for a few days I could see why have used it ever since and told all my fish keeping friends about it best 10$ I've ever spent on any of my tanks.

Great advice evil!(y) I have looked at the sunsun canister before but sounds like I should look at it again. Chemi-pure is good stuff I Have friends that swear by it as well.

All Depends on what rings there are two types the ceramic rings that act as a pre filter and the I think they are glass rings fluval calls them Bio-Max those are the ones you want for bio filtration, I'm sure someone else makes them that's the only brand I can remember of the top of my head.

Thank you for providing another option. The guy at the store is really trying to sell me an Eheim Ecco. He says it's super quiet, holds a lot of media, is easy to clean and prime. I obviously know not a **** thing about canisters. I'm so new to this. It is not the most expensive one he has and there are others they make more money on (I saw their book when he was ordering something else for me). So I'm pretty confident that it's what he feels is the best advice.

The Eheim are a great filter if your willing to part with 100$ + depending on size.
For me cost was a major issue mainly since I forgot how much $$$ goes into starting up from nothing but a dream. I saw a few negative reviews on the sun sun while looking them up 2 of the video reviews were done by a guy from another company so I chalked that up to industry hijinks after speaking to over a dozen people who have had them for over 2 years they all had good things to say about them and seeing how much media they can hold I was sold. For about 90$ I got a great filter with a built in UV light witch alone would cost me at least 40$ just for the inline UV light.

Honestly most of the LFS guys mean well but some are honestly clueless others pressured to sell you something with a profit margin for the store and then there are the ones that just don't care. Yet every so often I come across one that will give it to you straight and give you top notch advise these are rare salesmen and they don't tend to stay at the stores for very long.

What is the benefit of a UV light?

Oh and another question - I have a 10 gallon that is currently cycling to become my QT. I have a piece of shale with a fake plant siliconed to it. I wanted something easy to decontaminate if needed. Will bottom feeders be okay without have substrate or wood? Should I get a plastic hidey hole?

UV light kills most water borne parasites as well as algae suspended in the water column.

I would put something on the bottom at least 1/2 inch of some thing pool filtration sand is cheap but as far as I know it only comes in 50 pound bags about 10 - 15$ a bag.

"I would put something on the bottom at least 1/2 inch of some thing pool filtration sand is cheap but as far as I know it only comes in 50 pound bags about 10 - 15$ a bag."

Evil your a nicer guy then me. I'v never put anything in a QT

That's what I thought, that you were supposed to have the tank empty, but what do the bottom dwellers do then?

LOL I've heard that some fish go a lil nuts with a shiny bottom so a layer of super cheap substrate can't hurt. And it's cheap enough to toss if need be.

If its already in the process of cycling, can I still add the sand? It's not much money for that huge bag.

Can I add the cartridge for the 55 to the 29's housing unit to help get it seeded? It's the same size. I just didn't know if it would restrict the flow to much. Or, I also have some of the cut to fit media. Wen the 55 gets set up, I'll have that sponge, too.

+1 you can add the sand during the cycle I will recommend that you rinse it first just to get the extra fine powdered sand out so you don't cloud the water much.

as for the filter pad don't see why not as long as it's not restricting the flow too much.

Back
Top Bottom