New to this and screwed up already!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phishfriend said:
I just found a wood tv stand that I'm going to for the 40g. An only paid 23 bucks for it!! Can't wait to start this build! Lol.

I have decided that CL can be your best friend at times. Are you going to post pics once you've got it going?

"Would they be okay in the 10 for about 30 minutes? There are 9 of them" should fine
Just use water out of the 29 so the
Lvl's the same. Also remember the sponge is
A filter . Have no idea what it's tank size rating is but it's a lot of bio medium.

Yeah, I thought it would be. Especially going from a 29 to a 10.

What are thoughts on dwarf gouramis? Are they a little advanced for beginners?

Yeah, I thought it would be. Especially going from a 29 to a 10.

What are thoughts on dwarf gouramis? Are they a little advanced for beginners?
I don't think you would have any trouble with them as long as the para's were steady. They would be happiest in a planted tank with no bullies.

I think one of my males is on his way out. :( He got stuck between the sponge and the wall (kid must have moved the magnet and sponge, it was about an inch away before) and now his fins aren't working properly. He's vertical sucking at the surface. I posted in Unhealthy Fish to see if I should euthanize him.

If you don't think that he will better, or you can't stand to watch him suffer any longer, you may want to euthanize :(. It really sucks to do it.....A few weeks ago during a really bad ich outbreak in my 29 gallon I had to euthanize 6 fish in one day. :(

Sorry about your fish. :(

Do you think that Melafix would help? I don't want to kill him if I can help him. But, I have the water in the freezer now to start icing over.

I wonder if I should let him out of the breeding box? No one has posted over in the Unhealthy Fish forum,

Well, I think that melafix is more for repairing damaged fins, and this sounds like the fish is unable to move the fins, rendering melafix basically useless in this situation.

Also, (Hopefully you won't have to use this, but you never know) a quicker way to create the ice-cold water to euthanize a fish is to mix a bunch of crushed ice with a bit of tank water in the cup. Let it sit for 10 seconds or so, and then you will have the freezing cold water needed, without having to wait a long time for it to almost freeze. But like I said, hopefully you won't have to use this!

Thank you for your help. He looked so pitiful and was just unable to swim so I let him go. :( He was the prettiest one too.

The water was slushy so it worked, but I'll remember your tip in the unfortunate event I ever need it again.

I've got the 10 starting a fishless cycle now. I'm going to be using that as my QT.

After the first dose of Ammonia, an hour later it tested off the chart. I only added about 1 1/2 tsp when the guide said 2. I'm excited to start one the right way.

Ammonia in the 29 is still dropping. It was at .25 again today so that's 3 days in a row. I did a 25% PWC. Hoping to see those ites in the coming days. :)

Look at you go! That's awesome! Glad to hear things are going good. And remember that once the 29 is cycled. That sponge can be but in you 55 for its cycle.

phishfriend said:
Look at you go! That's awesome! Glad to hear things are going good. And remember that once the 29 is cycled. That sponge can be but in you 55 for its cycle.

Yes, thank you for the reminder. I'm going to need a new air pump too.

I tested the ammonia in the 10 today and it was still > 8.0 so I did a 50% PWC to see if I could bring it down to a readable level. I'll go test it in about an hour.

Question - I was reading the Fishless Cycling FAQ thread when the author mentioned that carbon filters weren't good to use. I already have them going on the 10 and the 29. He recommended getting a roll of filter media and cutting it to size. Should I do that now? I obviously wouldn't remove the cartridge since it has all of that good nastiness I'm working so hard to get. It's looking pretty gross too, how often do you clean those out in old tank water?

For the 55, what filter should I get? It came with the Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75, but I am not opposed to replacing it. What are the best filters for your average fish keeper?

That filter is rated for a 90 gallon tank. But I try to go for at least 2+ times filtration. It's not a bad filter but I would upgrade to a canister it gives you a lot more options for filter media.

Yes, thank you for the reminder. I'm going to need a new air pump too.

I tested the ammonia in the 10 today and it was still > 8.0 so I did a 50% PWC to see if I could bring it down to a readable level. I'll go test it in about an hour.

Question - I was reading the Fishless Cycling FAQ thread when the author mentioned that carbon filters weren't good to use. I already have them going on the 10 and the 29. He recommended getting a roll of filter media and cutting it to size. Should I do that now? I obviously wouldn't remove the cartridge since it has all of that good nastiness I'm working so hard to get. It's looking pretty gross too, how often do you clean those out in old tank water?

For the 55, what filter should I get? It came with the Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75, but I am not opposed to replacing it. What are the best filters for your average fish keeper?

Ok, so, the 10 gallon is a fishless cycle right? i know you have been reading about them and have it under control. Just going share a article that I have seen others refer to and I also like. Fishless Cycling - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

The Filter cartridges- If they are the store bought ones prepackaged from Aqueon anything like others such as marineland. The amount of carbon in the filter really isnt that affective. Plus the carbon does not work "forever". carbon can only remove so much of something before it needs to replaces. The filters you have in place are fine. Now when they start to fall apart and just have to be replace. Sure! go get the roll of filter medium. It's a lot cheaper then the replacement cartridges. The roll should last a long time also. Remember that its a good idea if you can, to put the new filter in about a week or so before removing the old filter. That is if you can fit it in the filter.
I'v just stuck them in the tank for a week before. not as effective but it works

Now, the filter you have in now. When they get gunked up bad. All you need to do is rinse them in water you just pull out of the tank to be changed. All I do is gently rub the side that faced the current (faced the back of most filters) just clear the buildup that is restricting water flow.

For the 55 filter. If it's not to expensive and you like quitflow 55/75 which you aready have. Just buy another 55/75. set them side by side. You will double the filtration on the tank, plus having two that match won't look odd in the tank.

Success! And a minor failure that may turn into a positive...for me.

I checked on the ammonia again in the 10 and still found it off the chart. So, I did a 75% change and tested again an hour later. The results were finally readable at 4ppm. And we're off!

29 has stayed the same, .25 ammonia, 0 nitrates and 0 nitrites.

Went to prepare the 55 for painting and guess what? It's just a bit too big for the stand we have. The Husband measured wrong and we have a stand that's 47" and the aquarium is 48.3". That means that I will be quietly coming home with a 65 (if I can find one - I'm in the process of calling around) and hope he doesn't notice....

You all are bad influences.

My comments are in blue. :thanks:

Ok, so, the 10 gallon is a fishless cycle right? Yep. i know you have been reading about them and have it under control. Just going share a article that I have seen others refer to and I also like. Fishless Cycling - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish. I'll take a look at that. I am finding the whole science of this hobby so fascinating.

The Filter cartridges- If they are the store bought ones prepackaged from Aqueon anything like others such as marineland. It is an Aqueon cartridge that the kit came with. The amount of carbon in the filter really isnt that affective. Plus the carbon does not work "forever". carbon can only remove so much of something before it needs to replaces. The filters you have in place are fine. Now when they start to fall apart and just have to be replace. Sure! go get the roll of filter medium. Bought a roll today. I think it's the right stuff. It's called Aqua Pure Cut-to-Fit Filter Pad (10" x 18") It's a lot cheaper then the replacement cartridges. The roll should last a long time also. Remember that its a good idea if you can, to put the new filter in about a week or so before removing the old filter. That is if you can fit it in the filter.
I'v just stuck them in the tank for a week before. not as effective but it works

Now, the filter you have in now. When they get gunked up bad. All you need to do is rinse them in water you just pull out of the tank to be changed. All I do is gently rub the side that faced the current (faced the back of most filters) just clear the buildup that is restricting water flow. Great. (y)

For the 55 filter. If it's not to expensive and you like quitflow 55/75 which you aready have. Just buy another 55/75. set them side by side. You will double the filtration on the tank, plus having two that match won't look odd in the tank. I do like it, but I haven't experienced anything else, either. It is pretty quiet. I just want to make sure I have a good one and I'm not spending more money down the road if I could have just bought a better one in the first place.

In regards to your question about the gourami I had one in with 2 angels and who would kno how many guppies and it was fine until he decide to commit himself got stuck between filter and glass but gorgeous easy to get along with. I am totally hearing you on watching them play I recently moved my filter so that it's aim is slightly out of the water towards the back wall and my guppies are having a blast fooling around in it. :)

Then as "mrniceguy" said looking to canister filter. They can be expensive. The thing to remember when looking at them is that they all do pretty much the same thing. things to look at are GPH, noise, How easy they are to clean and most important how well do they filter. I Think a great one to look at is the Magnium 350 Which is well tested. very quiet and does a awsome good job filtration wise. Plus you just cant beat the price at $80. I have owned three and love them. i'm adding a link to it https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Canister-Filters/I/Marineland-Magnum-350-Deluxe-Canister-Filter-Kit.aspx

Also that company pet solutions has the lowest prices on the web that I have found. Plus great customer service.

Last edited:
Jumping back in... your guppies are beautiful. I still have two of mine left. They are doing well in their 20G home. I must've missed something - what's the blue sponge for?

Jumping back in... your guppies are beautiful. I still have two of mine left. They are doing well in their 20G home. I must've missed something - what's the blue sponge for?

It's a sponge filter that is loaded with BB. and sold to speed cycles. there is a link in my sig. just scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see then.

Back
Top Bottom