New to this.... Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickRonnieBiggs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

I'm Nick I'm 22 from Essex in England.

I'm relatively new to all of this, so please forgive my knowledge and simple questions. I'm here looking to gain some information about cichlids. The Internet doesn't really help much as there are always so many different things constantly contradicting everything.

I currently have a Juwel 180 tank. It's pretty basic, gravel substrate, few plastic plants and a couple bits of bogwood for decor! I have 5 Neon Tetras, 5 leopard print danios, 1 Angel Fish, 1 female Bristlenose Pleco and 1 synodontis petricola.

I want to re home the other fish and have a tank with the synodontis petricola & Pleco with some of the smaller lake Malawi cichlids. I would like to know:

How many many of these cichlids can I house in my tank? I don't want it to be neither crowded nor empty.
What cichlids to choose as a beginner?
What other types of fish are compatible with cichlids? I've been told plecos & certain types of catfish are ok, but which ones?
Temperatures?

I hope you can help!

Thank you.

NickRonnieBiggs said:
Hi everyone!

I'm Nick I'm 22 from Essex in England.

I'm relatively new to all of this, so please forgive my knowledge and simple questions. I'm here looking to gain some information about cichlids. The Internet doesn't really help much as there are always so many different things constantly contradicting everything.

I currently have a Juwel 180 tank. It's pretty basic, gravel substrate, few plastic plants and a couple bits of bogwood for decor! I have 5 Neon Tetras, 5 leopard print danios, 1 Angel Fish, 1 female Bristlenose Pleco and 1 synodontis petricola.

I want to re home the other fish and have a tank with the synodontis petricola & Pleco with some of the smaller lake Malawi cichlids. I would like to know:

How many many of these cichlids can I house in my tank? I don't want it to be neither crowded nor empty.
What cichlids to choose as a beginner?
What other types of fish are compatible with cichlids? I've been told plecos & certain types of catfish are ok, but which ones?
Temperatures?

I hope you can help!

Thank you.

I have a african cichlid tank and some people may say ive overstoked abit. Ive added fish over a long period of time and there isnt any conflict in the tank.

Bareing in mind all cichlids grow quite large they ideally all need a home. Also they all have teeth so long fins are attractive to them. A small piece of terriotory they can own, safe refuge. All african cichlids will go together. I have two african jewels as well. Again people would advise against this but aftrr being miss sold to me they actually get along very well. All fish are unique and behaviour isnt always specific to breed.

Yellow labs are a great start. They are very vibrant and active.... all plecs and catfish are fine. Some people own clown loaches too and large gouramis hold their own too. Add them gradually and do ya reaseach. I dont consider myself an expert but have kept them for nearly 3yrs. Hope i helped.

I have a african cichlid tank and some people may say ive overstoked abit. Ive added fish over a long period of time and there isnt any conflict in the tank.

Bareing in mind all cichlids grow quite large they ideally all need a home. Also they all have teeth so long fins are attractive to them. A small piece of terriotory they can own, safe refuge. All african cichlids will go together. I have two african jewels as well. Again people would advise against this but aftrr being miss sold to me they actually get along very well. All fish are unique and behaviour isnt always specific to breed.

Yellow labs are a great start. They are very vibrant and active.... all plecs and catfish are fine. Some people own clown loaches too and large gouramis hold their own too. Add them gradually and do ya reaseach. I dont consider myself an expert but have kept them for nearly 3yrs. Hope i helped.

Cheers for your help mate greatly appreciated.

I'm gonna make a rockery with caves and stuff inside and get that in the tank before i get my first lot of cichlids.

What temperature is your tank at?

Thank you for this. Will be my reading material for this evening!

Back
Top Bottom