New to this site. Help with 55.g cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt_55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im matt_55. I have a 55 gallon african cichlid tank. My goal for my tank is below

2 peacocks (any kind( suggestions)
2 demosoni
3 red x red zebras
3 yellow labs
2 albino zebras
4 blue acei
1 feather fin catfish

I already have some of that list done. Any suggestions for my tank. KEEP IN MIND IT IS A 55 GALLON NOTHING CRAZY LIKE FRONTOSSA.

Matt_55 said:
Im matt_55. I have a 55 gallon african cichlid tank. My goal for my tank is below

2 peacocks (any kind( suggestions)
2 demosoni
3 red x red zebras
3 yellow labs
2 albino zebras
4 blue acei
1 feather fin catfish

I already have some of that list done. Any suggestions for my tank. KEEP IN MIND IT IS A 55 GALLON NOTHING CRAZY LIKE FRONTOSSA.

What so you already have? Damisoni need to be kept in a group of 10 or more. Maybe maingano instead? I wouldn't recommend adding peacocks, different aggression levels. Mbuna need to be kept in a 1male to 3-4 female ratio of each type. Also keeping more than one type of zebra isn't recommended to prevent hybridization. Also the males will spar. People wouldn't recommend frontosa because you have an mbuna tank, fronts are from a different lakes.

I have Lace rock in my 55g Malawi along with yellow lab,peacock,acei,johanni,bumble bee,electric blue c,jewel,orange lobster&soon to be starry nite pleco... Like your choices..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111007_161112.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111007_161112.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 128
here is a picture of my tank

Attachments

• PA060571.jpg
    PA060571.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 119
It came with the tank. Thnx, thank my brother too he helped alot with it

i got 2 red x reds i think 2 peacocks one is still unknown 2 albino 3 yellows 1 demosoni 4 blue acei 1 feather fin catfish and 1 pictus catfish, the pictus i am trying to get rid of, all he does is start fights with all the other fish

My tank is actually somewhat diff now with the addition of some more lace rock&removed fake plants&added some live ones...I only have single species of males in there..they've established a pecking order starting with my Johanni on top and the aurutus on the bottom...fish in between are yellow lab,acei,venustus,bumble bee,peacock,ele blue c,orange lobster ,plecosomus(which I'm rehoming)and soon to bee starry nite pleco...& 1 Nerite snail.

What filtration are you using? I roll with the Marineland 350 canister& and keep a marineland powerhead for circulation.. pic of the tank boss

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111007_180150.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111007_180150.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 77
joel618 said:
What so you already have? Damisoni need to be kept in a group of 10 or more. Maybe maingano instead? I wouldn't recommend adding peacocks, different aggression levels. Mbuna need to be kept in a 1male to 3-4 female ratio of each type. Also keeping more than one type of zebra isn't recommended to prevent hybridization. Also the males will spar. People wouldn't recommend frontosa because you have an mbuna tank, fronts are from a different lakes.

Joel you are spot on pretty much what I was going to say.

"Featherfins" Synodontis Eruptus IMO get a little big for a 55 I would suggest Synodontis lucipinnis ''Dwarf Petricola"

i have no idea what filtration i bought it used and only the lights came in packaging

I have no idea what filtration i use, i bought the tank used and only the lights were packaged. And love your tank boss mines my albino zebra, hes not very old (niether are all my fish) and is slowing getting blue and pink on his body!

every thing exect for the rock, plants and graval and fish, came with the tank.
I wish i could tell you all but un fortunetly i cant

Current pic of my Malawi with the addition of more lace rock..have a cave that runs the complete span of the rock at the base,tons of hiding places throughout.

Back
Top Bottom