New to this, trying to save my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But.... Your API test kit after will give false readings. It will still detect the harmless ammonia. Even tho your water is fine!

This is correct. The only test kit that will provide accurate results when using Prime is the one made by Prime which I have never tried personally. Good thing to keep in mind.

Sorry guys just one more question, I have a bottle of prime. Should I go out and get ammo lock also?

Prime- "No other aquarium water conditioning product is required to make tap water safe. Prime removes chlorine and chloramine (even in high chloramine levels), and detoxifies ammonia and nitrite."

On my way to Lfs now, think I'll ask about them hiring some competent staff while I'm there

You guys have been great thanks so much for all your advice. I'm going to do water changes with prime and keep my fingers crossed for my lil guys. Dunno how I managed to get attached to them so quick ( such a wuss ). Thanks again

No worries. We've all been there and have made the same mistakes. Most fish stores are in business to sell you fish.

I keep an extra sponge filter in a mature tank at all times so if I make an impulse buy and need a quaranteen tank or just want to set up an extra tank I can move that sponge filter over to the new tank and BOOM, instantly cycled tank. FYI for the future when you are bitten by the MTS (Multiple tank syndrome) bug.

On my way to Lfs now, think I'll ask about them hiring some competent staff while I'm there

Good luck with that. Let me know how it works out for you LOL. Ask them is they would part with some cycled filter material while you're there. Most LFS will give you some free.

Ammo Lock is redundant, as Prime binds the harmful ammonia to it's non-harmful state (ammonium)

I'm interested in this thread as some of the advice is not what we normally give out here, but rather than muddle the mixture I think I'll just aim to be a largely casual observer.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, you guys have way more experience than I do. I'm literally obsessed with getting this water chemistry right.

Morning guys, I managed to get some mature filter sponge yesterday, I squeezed it into the tank and then added to my filter. The water went cloudy and then I went to bed. This morning there is no change in my readings?????? Shouldn't I have seen an improvement overnight? Or would it take a few days for that bacteria to do its thing????

Squeezing the filter into your water column won't do much but adding it to your existing filter should help speed the process since you've just added some beneficial bacteria to the system. Keep checking params then do water changes and everything will work out. This is a waiting game and the person with patience is king, or queen.

You can dose up to 5x reg dose of Prime as needed to help keep the Ammonia from killing the fish.

Don't let the Ammonia readings get too high or the fish will suffer. Partial Water Changes (PWCs ) as needed will keep your fish alive.

Prime is all you need.

For my small tanks I buy a little dropper top bottle of Prime and then a larger bottle to refill.

2 drops per gallon is normal dose.

Big tanks I recommend Safe, the powdered concentrated form of Prime.

At what ammonia reading should I dose prime and what level requires water changes?

Back
Top Bottom