New Vertical Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aherzog1230

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
I have been watching for a while, but this is my first post. I have recently been put in charge of a vertical display tank at my school. It is approximately 60" deep, 36" long and 18" wide. (about 170 gallons). I have run freshwater tanks before, but never one this large, nor any vertical. I used to care for it before when another member was in charge, but it only contained 2 Cichlids and some tetras.
I am having a hard time choosing fish for the tank because its a vertical. Any help would be amazing!

Holey smokes, so that tank is 5ft deep?? Anything in there at the moment for fish, plants or ornaments? Love to see a pic :)

Here I think I'd add some very large, long pieces of driftwood (heck probably drag in a hollow log) and look at some fairly sedate, good size native fish.

I'd like a pic too. Sounds awesome. Might give us a better idea of it if we had pics. What school? College?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will get a pic up within a few days as I am off campus. The person who "cared" for it over the summer did not visit it at all, and the tank is a mess. There is a thin layer of sand, and 2 large pieces of driftwood. Previously, we had some tall fake plants, but they are old and need replaced. One Convict Cichlid may still live, but I am doubtful. There were a few Buenos Aires tetras, but they were never compatible and probably perished. It desperately needs cleaned, but I can't access it until Sunday when I get a key to the room.
I was hoping for some live plants, but it is extremely difficult to plant as its so deep. I was thinking of attaching some Java Moss to some of the Driftwood to give it life.

tall tank

you might use red root floaters at the top to give some dimension,or wisteria they could absorb some of the nitrates that will develope

I guess it also depends what sort of fish you want and how much time you have?

I think imo any plants more than two feet deep will struggle to grow unless you have strong lighting and that may cause algae issues. Some plants on the driftwood sounds a great idea.

Fancy goldfish crossed my mind as well. Low maintenance, nice colours in high end fish.

Ok, so I got back to campus and I got some more/better information. The dimensions are actually 48*48*18. We have a light on a timer and it can be adjusted to whatever is necessary. Both of the Convict Cicchlids lived, and I have no idea how (they probably ate the tetra). I have begun cleaning the tank, and you can see into it again. It will take a lot of work.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Cichlids. They are always aggressive to each other and to other fish. It is a Male/Female pair, but they arent matched well. Both are dominant to one area of the tank. I would like to replace them, but I am unsure how to relocate them.

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

I would contact an LFS (not one of the big box stores) or a local fish club for relocating those cichlids.
That's a nice sump. I'd make sure that you put foam or floss on the tray above the bio media.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom