Newbie! 60g tropical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Razzle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I am new to pretty much everything and i'm here seeking advice because i've been getting lost just reading everywhere.

As for me ive had a 40g tank growing up in my parents house and after reading much of the information on the basics here i wonder how those fish even survived to be honest. we did so many things wrong.. or not at all. I'm glad though that i know this information now.

That aside i'm excited to say that i bought a 60g aquarium a few days ago due to a sale i just couldn't pass up. ive been wanting to get back into it but i was waiting for a good deal on a tank to show up and one finally did. Got the Marineland Heartland ensemble for $133 and i really like the way it looks. I also purchased a fluval aquaclear 70 for it since that was deeply discounted as well.

So what i currently have is
60g tank/standard florescent lighting/stand
Aquaclear 70
Eheim Jager TruTemp 250W
python system

and thats pretty much where im stuck, mostly due to indecision. I'd like to run a tropical tank. and live plants are something completely new to me so i don't know how i feel about those. also i was considering a canister filter but those are new to me as well and i've read somewhere that my stand doesn't have room inside the cabinets for one. (even though they have the cutout for the tubes) also i don't know how much sound canister filters give off. i'd like to keep it as quiet as i can because it will be in the living room.

As far as the fish and decor go im open to suggestion. like i said id like tropical, and im leaning towards a sand substrate (pool sand perhaps) this tank is pretty tall (12.75"L x 48.5"W x 25" H ) so maybe a top middle and bottom type. My wife and kids would like colors also.

thanks for the time and advice :)

I think this would be a pretty colourful stock list:

5 boesemani rainbowfish
5 red Irian rainbowfish
5 dwarf neon rainbowfish
2 electric blue rams
4 gardnerie killifish
15 gold tetras

You might not like having so many rainbowfish, but I think they're very nice looking and if you're looking for colourful, rainbow is in the name lol.

Hey there!

Great deal on the tank!

First thing I would do is get another Aquaclear 70 if it is still on sale. Having one filter at each end of the long tank definitely helps keep the water moving and provides enough filtration. Just one filter in that big footprint may not work as well.

Sorry, can't give advice on the canister filters ?

Stocking? I second the rainbows. They do like to school a bit, so make sure to get a good handful of each!

I personally love neon tetras and harlequin rasboras: very bright fish that stay relatively small.

Good luck and let us see pictures of this project as it moves along!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

thanks for the suggestions, included a pic of the start. what i was considering doing was a canister/hob combo. the deal on the aquaclears ended unfortunetly. but petsmart has the fluval 306 canister for $110 right now and that seems like a good deal. but im not sure how big canisters are. i want to make sure that if i buy one it'll fit inside the stand.

also i'm not sure exactly what i need to get for testing/conditioning of the water etc. is there a kit out there that has everything in it or is it better to buy just what is needed?

as far as decor goes are live plants difficult?

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 127
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 116
I have heard good things about Fluval canisters. Sorry I don't have personal experience with them.

Test kit? Go with the API master freshwater liquid test kit. They run just under $30, but will last a long time and give accurate readings so long as you follow the directions.

Live plants are a wonderful addition. There are several easy plants which are harder to kill than anything, lol. I would recommend most varieties of Anubias. They can be found at the big stores in tubes most often. Don't bury the rhizome or it will rot. I tie mine down with low-vis fishing line. Also, banana plants are pretty cool looking and are hardy IME.

Can't wait to see how this project comes along!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

I have the exact setup, and I don't think you can get a canister inside of that cabinet. I looked, the smallest ones would fit but the tube clearance on the top probably wouldn't cut it. I just run 2 aquaclear 110 on there. Tank stays extremely clean with my school of bosemani rainbows 8 and dwarf neon rainbows 6.

You could just keep the stand far enough from the wall and tuck it behind there, leave enough slack in tubing to slide it out from behind during cleaning.

Good choice on the tank though, love mine!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thanks for the great insight. i picked up the API master kit from amazon they currently have it for 18$ i think i will give live plants a shot, the natural look of a tank really appeals to me.

Thanks Zero that's great info, ill add another Aquaclear 70.

purchased a few more items today online to be shipped. i should be starting cycling next week. Provided i can select a substrate....

Adding here because private messages don't allow pictures........

Attachments

• IMG_20150219_170416.jpg
    IMG_20150219_170416.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20150219_170436.jpg
    IMG_20150219_170436.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20150219_170443.jpg
    IMG_20150219_170443.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20150219_170451.jpg
    IMG_20150219_170451.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 104
awesome thanks, is that an LED upgrade?

Yeah its and LED upgrade as I want to plant in the near future (what grows in my 36 gallon can be moved here). I noticed you were looking to do plants, and the kit it comes with wont really work. its a total of 30 watts for 60 gallons @ 2ft high. So it would be really, really low level lighting with the stock light kit.

Thats the only thing I wish i knew about before I bought, was plant info :ermm:. I wish it was 18in high, and provided more depth (front to back). But it can work with the proper lighting upgrade.

yeah i was thinking the same thing, the tank is great for a forward view. i was surprised to see it so tall and thin. ive been looking into a way of upgrading the lighting today. doesn't have to be led persay, but as you can tell im a bargain hunter and I like to mix quality with value.

also you have filters over the intakes on your hobs?

yeah i was thinking the same thing, the tank is great for a forward view. i was surprised to see it so tall and thin. ive been looking into a way of upgrading the lighting today. doesn't have to be led persay, but as you can tell im a bargain hunter and I like to mix quality with value.

also you have filters over the intakes on your hobs?

This is the light I bought, it would give you Medium light at the substrate.

Amazon.com : Current USA Satellite Plus PRO 48"-60" LED Freshwater Aquarium Light w/Wireless Controller : Pet Supplies

Those are pre-filters, I use them to limit the crap that gets into the Aquaclears, they seem to be finer pores VS the mesh filter in the HOB.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A1387-EDGE-Pre-Filter-Sponge/dp/B002LL32RY

They don't 100% filt the intake tube, but if you put your finger in the sponge and pull pretty good it will stretch out to fit them. I think I got it for like $0.97 at petco.

those look like aqueon versa lids, if so did you have any fitting problems?

Some beginner, low-medium light plants are:

Limnophila sessiliflora*
Hornwort*
Java fern
Marimo mossball
Anubius nana *
Banana plant*
Amazon sword

I have all of these in my 56 gallon with low-medium light and they're all fine. The ones starred grow like there's no tomorrow!

thanks for the plant list! that helps a ton. now i just have to decide how i want to proceed on lighting. the satellite is nice but man its pricey. Finnex has some nice lights also but seem to lack the features. but they are also nearly half the price.

also concerned about algae growth. so im spending time now with lighting lol

thanks for the plant list! that helps a ton. now i just have to decide how i want to proceed on lighting. the satellite is nice but man its pricey. Finnex has some nice lights also but seem to lack the features. but they are also nearly half the price.

also concerned about algae growth. so im spending time now with lighting lol

I have another plant I got a few days ago and I don't even know the name of lol. It's got one stem with multiple leaves going all the way up the stem. Some leaves are green and some a pinkish-red. Anyone know what I might be talking about?

On the canister filter, they are very quiet but a pain to clean. For one tank, a HOB filter will work and they are quiet as well.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

finally finished my shopping list. ill update further once i start the cycling process. feels like a month from now before i'll actually have fish lol

Back
Top Bottom