Newbie AA & tank Owner with ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virgonurse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK, I need some advice in several areas. First, we bought a 55 gallon tank last of July (we have had a 10 gallon for about a year). There were fish with it- 2 Green Severums, 1 Sail-finned Pleco, 1 BN Pleco, 1 Red-finned shark, 2 Yellow Labs, 1 Clown Loach, 2 Do-jo loaches. Using a Magnum 350 and Maxijet 600.
Started out with charcoal media and NEW TANK CYCLING because my hubby wanted to use river rock. We changed to coral mix 2 weeks later. Went through that, then 2 weeks ago, 8-29, the bad smell is coming again, so we have the water checked ( I was using strips, I have since ordered a kit). Told it was cycling again!!!! Nitrites were 1.0, nitrates were 0-20, and ammon. 3.0-6.0. Switched media to Purigen and Chem-pure Elite (the water has never been more beautiful) and vacuumed good, as per the fish dude. My PH runs 7.5-8.0 and water is hard.
Did a 5-6 gallon water-change on 9-7. My nitrites got to 0 on 9-8 w/ my nitrates at 20, but ammon. at .5-3.0. On 9-10 trites were 1.0-3.0, trates the same, ammon. at 3. Last night, 9-11, trites .5, trates 0-20, ammon. at 3 again. I keep a log of each check. It seemed to be settling w/ everything lowering and increasing, but now my ammon, is doing this, Could it be the strips (not got my kit thru mail yet)? Me being a newbie? I am using Prime for the ammonia. Just do a water change?
I know we have a load to try to have cycled, but have not lost a fish yet. I do not know anyone who could take some of them, they are grown, healthy fish.
Now my next dilemma, what kind of lights do we need? I have been reading everything since getting this tank (because I knew nothing) and cannot seem to figure out the diff. lights, wattage, etc. We have no live plants. My hubby wants some of the "Moonlights". Can you use those for primary lights, only at night, or what? There again, I don't know which ones, wattage, etc. The bulbs that came with it are two different kinds w/ one side looking like plain flurescent and the other side with a purple tinge, but not quite dimmer.
My hubby said he is getting over the tank quick, I wonder why? I just need some help in a few areas because I have researched the fish, water perimeters, levels, etc. until my eyes are crossed. I would appreciate the help, especially with the light issue and a few other little things I would like to know more about, but I will save that for another time.
So far, this is the only forum that I absolutely love. Good pics, informative, up-to-date forums, etc. Hope to hear back soon.:confused:

Sounds like you are cycling. I have a link in my signature about cycling with fish that is really good. As far as the lights, since you dont have live plants it is really up to your taste what kind of lights you want on the tank. Moonlights are usually used at night. You try to simulate day and night for your fish. So using bright lights during the day (sunlight) and glowing lights (moonlight) at night. Most people just use no lights at night, but again that is your choice. Once your tank is to your taste and is cycled your husband will be happy, the maintenance really becomes less. You only need to do water changes every 2 weeks or month. Just get the liquid test kit and when you see the nitrAtes starting to rise so a partial water change. You will be fine. Be sure to check out the link about cycling with fish in my signature. It will be fun eventually, I promise!!!

Welcome to AA :) Gotta agree with spoonman here, if ammonia gets very high though, you may lose your fish. keep an eye on that, and make sure like he said, use a liquid test kit... the strips are not very accurate

Back
Top Bottom