Newbie error- seeking advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterSnail

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

As the title suggests, I realise I have made some errors early on in my aquarium learning journey.

On Monday, I went to buy some plants from some aquarium-guru who turns out to live near me. I ended up buying not only a bunch of plants but also about 30 live shrimp and 3 freshwater snails. I had an inkling I should not have bought the shrimp and snails as I had not cycled my aquarium properly, but didn't fully realise the mistake as I was caught up in the moment and he kind of just chucked them in the bucket for me to have. So, I returned home and filled my 60L tank with tap water (treated for chlorine), planted the plants in my substrate (seachem flourite layered underneath regular gravel), and started my filter (new, aquaclear power filter).

After doing more research, I realise the mistake I've made, and have not yet put the snails and shrimp in the aquarium. They remain outside the tank- in a small container with their original water. I'm aware there are ways to cycle an aquarium without putting them in, but I am worried they will die in the small containers they are currently in anyway, of ammonia poisoning.

From the research I've done, shrimp seem to be even more sensitive to changes in water conditions/temperature than fish, and both shrimp and snails don't seem to produce that much ammonia anyway, so I'm not sure how efficient they would be in helping the cycling process.

My question is: Should I try to do a fish(or shrimp)-less cycle, and keep the shrimp and snails in small containers externally while this happens, or should I add them and try to cycle it with them in it? What will give them the best chance of survival? Any and all advice on what to do is much appreciated. :fish2:

The choice is between keeping them in small containers that arent cycled or putting them in a larger tank that also isnt cycled. The shrimp will stand a better chance in the larger tank because it will be easier to control water parameters in a larger volume of water.

If you want to cycle first then add livestock could you not return the shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom