Newbie from CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RondaGP

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I thought it would be cool to have a saltwater fish tank and mentioned this at work.

To my surprise a co-worker was selling theirs.

After many warnings from friends of the "high maintanence" and "high cost", I bought her whole set up for $200 . That included an established 55 gallon tank in an oak cabinet with lights, a hood, a protien skimmer, an undergravel filter w/powerheads, air pumps and air stones, not to mention the live rock, 2 clowns and 2 types of damsels, large decrotive coral and shells (and everything else under the sun that I would possibly need - salt, buckets, heaters, all tests, food, replacement everything, etc, etc, etc).

Needless to say I absolutely love it!!!

(By the way, I disagree that it is exspensive and "high maintanence", I mean, just look at gardening, scrapbooking, or other hobbies).

I can't wait to learn more and add to it. It has only been about 3 months and my husband and I are ready for another larger reef tank.

I live in Ukiah, California and would like to start a local club to meet other local aquarists.

See you around.
-Ronda

Welcome to ya! Sounds like you got it bad already. This is the most rewarding hobby I've ever encountered. Been doing it for 9 months. Feels like 20 years already though for some reason.

Congrats on the great buy too! Part of the fun is designing, assembling, dis-assembling, re-designing, stocking, re-stocking....I'll stop there. So I'd guess a second larger reef tank is on the short horizon. Lemme see now, judging from the position of the moon over CA, and you and your husband's aura :wink: , I'd guess a 125gallon tank has been targeted. :D

Any more fish going into the 55g? Read a lot and use the experiences from a lot of the fine folks here, and you'll do fine. Research, patience, and a discerning ear (gained by the research) will go a long way in this hobby.

P.S. Might wanna ID those damsels and know thier potential for aggressiveness if you're adding anything else.

Got your husband in there witcha too. It's great to share w/someone close. Best of luck to you guys!

Excellent advice! You really can't read enough in this hobby.

I think I am a researcher by nature. It must be some graduate student thing in me.
I read 6 books cover to cover before I even got my tank installed.
I am quite addicted to reading books, magazines, and forums daily.

And as to my 55 gallon, I want to add some type of cleaner crew. Not just for the cleaning thing but I like how tanks look when little guys are moving around the bottom. I like Green Turbos and the tiny blue legged and red legged hermits. Plus those cleaner shrimp are beautiful!

I would also love to add a yellow tang, a coral beauty, and some type of benthic fish with personality. I used to want a scooter dragnet but now I'm leaning towards a long nosed hawkfish. But I'm still researching, gaining experience, and hanging out with what I have.

My damsels are a yellow tail and a blue devil.
The weird thing is the blue devil is the least aggressive of my four fish. I'm not saying it would stay that way when/if I add more fish, but he is nothing like the ones I read about. He is often the one being chased by his tank mates.

You know what else is wierd about that fish!
I can't get him to quit digging a tunnel under the live rock. He digs all the way to the filter to where it seems the rock is barely balanced in place. First it was this huge decorative coral, now it's the live rock. I am scared to death one day I'm going to find him squished underneth it when it finally collapses on him. I have to keep up with putting the substrate back so this doesn't happen.

We are currently re-aquascaping with some of the older peices that came with the tank with a lot of newly purchased stuff. We've been cleaning and glueing peices together but it definitely needs to be finished ASAP so my blue damsel can find a permanent home that doesn't involve suicide.
(The new design will have many more hiding places and territory zones for everybody).

Welcome!! :D

I guess you've got a bit of the bargain-hunter in you, intentional or not. :D Great deal you got there!

Hey, welcome! :D

You know, you kind of resemble Captian Liberty from the Tick television series. Random observation. Great show.

frshwaterfinatc said:
Hey, welcome! :D

You know, you kind of resemble Captian Liberty from the Tick television series. Random observation. Great show.

:lol: I never watched the television series but the cartoon was one of the best ever in television history as far as I'm concerned!

I heard the TV series was funny too.

Back
Top Bottom